Need general reloading info

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
OBXMan
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 LRPV

Need general reloading info

Post by OBXMan »

I am 50 years old. Retired from one job. Have been working in Afghanistan the past few years. This will probably be my last trip over here. I like to shoot. A lot! Buy ammo by the case, not the box. I have two large safes back home that are full with a wide assortment of long guns and pistols. The weapons I shoot the most are my .204, Beowulf .50, and a couple Colt and Kimber .45's. I know nothing about reloading. I don't know anyone back home that reloads so I can't turn to friends for advice.

When I get home I plan on buying and reading a couple reloading manuals. I'm mostly interested in reloading for the .204 and .45. Small batch accurate loads for the .204 and quantity for the .45 I am looking for equipment suggestions. What do I need to get started? I don't want to spend money on junk and have to replace it down the road when I realize I bought the wrong set up. Full set up start to finish what do I need? Any brave soul wanna tackle this question? :eek:
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Re: Need general reloading info

Post by bazz »

ill have a go im no expert or pretend to be just my findings , first with the 204 buy bench rest dies and a good quality press like redding ,rcbs, forster coaxle ect you only get what you pay for,then you will need thing like comparator ,chamfer tools primer pocket uniformer , flash hole deburer , case length trimmer,good scales ,funnels, reloading tray and do a lot of reading here and buy a few reloading manuals to get a grasp on how too work up loads i would also recommend a buying a chrono gragh helpful for working up loads and for ballistics programs buts thats later on as for the pistol well i dont shoot pistol but i dont think you will go past a dillon reloader for high capacity loading , im sure others will chime in and give you more info than i can , and ask question here we will try and help best of luck ,cheers bazz
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

You're starting with the right attitude.I load all my handgun on a Hornady progressive.Most load on a Dillon.All my rifle is done on single stage presses.After reading all you can,it is recommended you find a mentor,that lives near enough ,to show you the tricks and pitfalls you will encounter.It is a learning process.Where do you live?
When you get back!
OBXMan

Post by OBXMan »

Thanks for the info guys! I will do as much reading as I can.

I live in the mountains of NC. Near Boone. Get back Oct 1st. Just in time to shoot some groundhogs. Or whistle pigs as we call them. Also get a kick outta sniping crows. They are fairly smart birds and are used to staying just outta shotgun range. The .204 is a game changer. I had a couple 300+ yard kills while I was home on leave. Amazing what a 39gr BK will do to a crow. It spreads them out in little bitty pieces! :D
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

When I started reloading back in the mid-90's I watched a David Tubb VHS tape about the whole reloading process, step by step. It really helped me understand what's what.....better than just reading about it.

Reading is good, though......in addition to manuals like Hornady's (which is my favorite) you might get Reloading For Competition by Glen Zediker and Sinclair's Precision Reloading.

Today more than ever, You Tube is a terrific resource for "how to's" on a huge variety of reloading issues and problems.

Good luck, and enjoy that .204!!!

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

+1 on the previous posts!

I would add these points:

1) Concentrate on developing good shooting form first.
2) Concentrate on making consistent ammo second (concentric, identical charges, etc.).
3) Third, attend to load development (adjusting powder charge, bullet seating depth).

With these in order, when you are shooting for groups, you can adjust the load variables (powder charge, bullet seating depth) and never be tormented with second thoughts about "Is it me??", or, "Is somehing funny about my ammo??" when you are testing loads and they turn out poor.

That said...I'm not really convinced anymore that some of the variables that we obsess over in making consistent ammo (bullet concentricity, trim length, primer seating depth, neck tension, case weight, etc.) make a measureable difference in group size (0.001") with the typical "factoy" rifle. BUT... for me, it is pays to eliminate the variables so that when I'm load testing and a group is sub par, I can rest assured that the problem is NOT with my ammo, because every round is identical. Well, as best as I can make it anyway.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I would be happy to talk to you and walk thru all the equipment needs step by step for 204 and 45. We are a full line dealer for Redding and Forster products as well as producing many of our own custom cnc machined reloading products. Give us a call or email us anytime.

Custom Reloading Tools LLC
Phone: 260-225-4400 or email: sales@customreloadingtools.com

Brad
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

All good advice above. I would start with the best Redding kit you can afford. Then add the specialty items you need like primer pocket uniformer, flash hole debur tool, VLD chamfer tool, comparators, a GOOD funnel and such. If you have been shooting Hornaday factory ammo, I would suggest getting a different brand of new brass, JMHO. Get hooked up with Brad @ Custom Reloading Tools. Good prices, great service, very reasonable shipping rates and a guy you can trust! Also check out Sinclair International, they have a very informative paper catalog. I am not much of a pistol guy, so I can't help with that.

We got any members here close enough to help in person?
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Yes, I'd have to say that the Hornady .204 brass should not be used for accuracy loads. I ended up giving away 200 pcs because it was causing too much doubt in load development. Primer pockets were either crazy-tight, or in consistent, wall thickness was very inconsistent, weight was inconsistent, I forget what else, but I ended up giving up on it.

That said, I have all Hornady brass for another caliber and it is very, very good (uniform). I now use Norma and Nosler brass for the .204 and never "wonder" anymore if poor groups are because of the brass. It is fantastic stuff.

My setup (for neck sizing only for a bolt gun):
Ancient RCBS JR single stage press
RCBS 10 scale
RCBS powder thrower
RCBS 17cal powder funner
Lee neck sizing die
Redding bump die
Wilson seating die ( I use a home-made simple press for that or press it by hand)
MTM 50 position loading block
Lee VLD chamfer tool
Wilson deburr tool
Opossum hollow (sinclair style) pocket cleaner/uniformer
center drill for flash hole uniforming
Forster and Wilson case length trimmer

My setup is probably spartan by most standards, but I can expect 0.3" 5-shot groups when I am shooting well, always bipod and rear bag. 0.5" groups when I am not really trying. I'm not sure if that is good by most folks standards, but I am content.
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

Here are a few videos that explain the process and tools you will need. After watching you`ll have a better idea of what you have to have, and can then dig into the various brands and types of tooling you will want.

Enjoy... http://blog.sinclairintl.com/category/v ... ng-videos/
OBXMan

Post by OBXMan »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:I would be happy to talk to you and walk thru all the equipment needs step by step for 204 and 45. We are a full line dealer for Redding and Forster products as well as producing many of our own custom cnc machined reloading products. Give us a call or email us anytime.

Brad
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Brad, I am stuck in Afghanistan until Oct 2nd or so. I will give you a call when I get stateside and order some equipment.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

If you greet the 82nd Airborne 2nd 508th, say hello to my son!
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Thank You, I look forward to talking with you when you return.
OBXMan wrote:
wirelessguy2005 wrote:I would be happy to talk to you and walk thru all the equipment needs step by step for 204 and 45. We are a full line dealer for Redding and Forster products as well as producing many of our own custom cnc machined reloading products. Give us a call or email us anytime.

Brad

Brad, I am stuck in Afghanistan until Oct 2nd or so. I will give you a call when I get stateside and order some equipment.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

OBXMan wrote:

Brad

Order A B C's of reloading published by Gun Digest Books. It will give you a very good idea of what you are getting into for a small price. Order now and hopefully you will have some interesting reading before you return.
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:Thank You, I look forward to talking with you when you return.
OBXMan wrote:

Brad

Brad. See many from here are over on the "SmallcaliberClub" also. Will check it out further... Thank you Bill K :)