Varmageddon & Ballistic Tip Comparison

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Varmageddon & Ballistic Tip Comparison

Post by Rick in Oregon »

During a recent load workup trying alternative powders for my Cooper 20VT (tried to find powder lately?), I decided to run an informal comparison using my pet load that uses the 32gr Ballistic Tip against the 32gr Varmageddon using my usual powder, RL-7. The latter of course is a flat-base, and the BT is a boattail offering. Both loads were identical in all regards except the bullet, and both bullets were .005" off the lands.

I wanted to check both accuracy and POI between the two, as I've got beaucoup amounts of both bullets, and gearing up for rat season I didn't want any surprises. The surprise I got was a good one though:

It appears the longer bearing surface of the VG bullet robs 100 fps from the same load. Not a big deal; 'Minute of Squirrel' for sure, confirmation of POI, and a big smile. :D

My hound "Lucy" was with me for company. She only comes out of the truck during rifle cleaning.....too loud for pups during live-fire:

All in all, a good range/load workup day. Counting the days till Skippy and his pals emerge from their burrows once again so we can have what I like to call "fun with rodents". :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Varmageddon & Ballistic Tip Comparison

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Rick for the info. That is interesting on the FPS between them.. Very nice set up you have there. Bill K :)
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

Good post, I've been wondering how they compare, looks like a good alternative. Based on what I've seen out of your cooper, that thing could probably group rocks under 1 moa.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

Hi Rick;
were the vg's tipped or h.p.'s ?
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Nice test Rick. I have some Varmageddon bullets but have not shot any yet. Nice to know that they are that accurate.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TrapperDan wrote:Hi Rick; were the vg's tipped or h.p.'s ?
Dan, I only shoot poly-tipped bullet for our sage rats and chucks, and don't mess with the HP's due to their much lower BC values.

I usually shoot the 32 & 40gr Nosler BT's in my 204's, but haven't tried any VG's in them yet as all my 204 cases are loaded for rat season with BT's. All my 32gr VG's have been loaded up in 20VT cases. But I'll be laying in a good stash of the 32gr VG's for my 204's though after seeing what they're capable of. Good thing the factory is only a few flaps of the crows wings from me. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Picked up 2 lbs more of RL7 from Scheels a couple weeks ago, so I am feeling good while pumping out VT rounds. Havent found Varmageddons forever online or in stores. I have a feeling all they are making are ending up on your bench, Rick! Had to settle for reg price V-max $80/500 to fill my needs until they get some Zmax made or Nosler gets their act together. Gonna work up a load for 26gr Barnes VG since those seem to be on shelves consistently.
K = ½mv2
204foxguy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Post by 204foxguy »

Speaking of the .204 cal 32gr Varmageddon ( Poly Tip Flat Base), I was able to purchase some when they first came out.
I have been thinking of getting some more, But havent been able to find any- anywhere.
They all say Out of Stock :( .
I have to believe they are still being made? slow/ low production.
I would like to find 500 for the coming season, does anybody know of a place that has them in stock, if so please send me a message?

thanks,
Foxguy
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

204foxguy wrote:Speaking of the .204 cal 32gr Varmageddon I have to believe they are still being made? slow/ low production.
Foxguy: "Yes", they're still being made, and "no", definitely NOT low production as the factory is humping at full speed, full tilt to satisfy demand. It just seems to be a very popular bullet style. I can't find them locally either, and the factory is located right here! :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

204foxguy wrote:Speaking of the .204 cal 32gr Varmageddon ( Poly Tip Flat Base), I was able to purchase some when they first came out.
I have been thinking of getting some more, But havent been able to find any- anywhere.
They all say Out of Stock :( .
I have to believe they are still being made? slow/ low production.
I would like to find 500 for the coming season, does anybody know of a place that has them in stock, if so please send me a message?

thanks,
Foxguy
Foxguy.. Check the Shooters Pro shop website often, they sell blemish and overruns.. You just have be fast on the finger :D Right now they are down in maintenance mode. But add them to your favorites and check them out. Bill K (Nosler site, by the way)
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I have loaded and tested the Varmageddon 20 cal 32 grain tipped bullets and they are a solid performer as Rick shows. I would go as far as to say that they are as accurate or maybe more accurate than the Sierra 39 grain blitzking bullets in the rifles i have tested them in.
The last order we placed for them was in January 2013 and they are still on back order. As soon as we receive notification that they are in transit I will post something up to let anyone interested know that they are available.