223 priming issues! Am I doing something wrong?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

223 priming issues! Am I doing something wrong?

Post by savageboy23 »

Buddy of mine bought some .223 brass from and range and asked if I would load some up. We had worked up a load prior to this purchase. We settled on 18.5 gr of imr 4198 for his tikka t3. While priming up cases I noticed a few went in harder. The primers took a lot of pressure to push in. Two primers actually got smashed. All the cases I had problems with were marked FC or PSD on the headstamp. Am I doing something wrong?

Picture of a few problem cases.

The case before sizing

What do these markings mean? It's lake city brass I Beleive.

Cases with wrecked primers
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
HeadLever
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21

Re: 223 priming issues! Am I doing something wrong?

Post by HeadLever »

Your military cases have crimped primers. You'll need to remove the crimp by either swaging them out or by using your deburring tool to remove the crimp.

You can search on Youtube or the internet as there are several tools and methods available that will help you here.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Thanks HeadLever
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

HeadLever is correct about the military brass having a crimp on the primers. If you don't know this in advance, it can cause the problems I see in your photos. Also the brass pictured with a headstamp, FC, as far as I know, stands for Federal Cartridge Company. Lake City brass is normally stamped LC with a year stamp following the LC stamp. Looks like this: LC89. Means Lake City manufactured in 1989.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

Crimped in primers! Been there, done that and NOW, so have you. ;) Now you'll know what to look for on your next batch of brass. Chamfer, deburing tool will take care of that.
Depends on how hard they were crimped. Might take a primer pocket swagger to get them right? One more thing to store in your memory bank.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Thanks for the help guys! :P I haven't gotten the time to finish up the rest of the rounds. But I have the problem and solution figured out.