New case cleaner - stainless steel pins

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

New case cleaner - stainless steel pins

Post by acloco »

Dragging my feet on jumping on the bandwagon. Good friend of mine has a Thumblers Tumbler being used with stainless steel pins. Results are superb! Cases are clean inside, outside, and so are the primer pockets. Yes, you do have to deprime first, so that the pins can float through.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/27279

Have about 600 223 cases being cleaned right now. Will pull, drain, rinse/seperate, and dry shortly.
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Re: New case cleaner - stainless steel pins

Post by Lead Lobber »

That isn't a bad price for what you are getting. I don't know anything about that particular brand but I do have three Thumbler's Tumblers. An 18 lb Vibratory, 6 lb and 12 lb rock tumblers. They work excellent!!!! I even prefer the tumbled results better than my ultrasonic machine that was 6K.

You will find that drying them will be a pain. If you stage your work and plan on working on something else during those three hours while they dry, it isn't too much of a hassle.
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

One thing I've found is if you run your brass too long, they'll get peened so you have to watch it close. Had a few issues with pin getting stuck crossways in the necks on some of the smaller cases but that's part of the job. They end up in a warm oven to get dry. Well worth the extra effort to get cleaned and dry but the finished product is worth it. 8)
acloco

Post by acloco »

Thanks for the info.
jcinnb
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jcinnb »

You can get superb results with a cheapo. harbor freight dual drum tumbler, SS pins, Dawn, and some liquid car wax. Does the job, you can do 80 or so cases at a time (25-06).

I rinse my brass in sink. Then put cases in a towel, making a tunnel, and go at it about 4-5 minutes with hair dryer. Dries well, but the cases get really hot!
acloco

Post by acloco »

Well, so far, so good.

2 tablespoons of Dawn dish soap with a teaspoon of Lemi Shine - REALLY makes brass clean.

I have even went as far as, NOT depriming pistol brass (9, 40, 45), and cleaning with the new machine.

Need to load some rounds and see if I notice a difference in cleanliness.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I bought a set up here a few weeks back and I like it. Don't know what size pins I have but nary a one got stuck in the flash hole or sideways in the primer pocket.