Cleaning brass

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
itzdirty
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Cleaning brass

Post by itzdirty »

anyone have a good method for cleaning rifle brass without a tumbler? Obviously I'm trying to do this on the cheap And safe. I've seen a few YouTube videos but... I'm always skeptical of you tubers.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Cleaning brass

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Years ago, prior to owning a tumbler, I used to clean my brass with a mixture of vinegar, crème of tartar and water. Put the brass in a large jar with the liquid, shake it gently for about ten minutes then rinse. It comes out bright and clean, but does not equal a quality tumbler with clean media. Sure better than nothing though.

Others may have other suggestions, as there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

itzdirty

Post by itzdirty »

Thanks Rick! Sounds similar to what I've been seeing. In the past I've just wipes them down with brasso. Your method sounds like it will be much less time consuming.

I'm eyeballing the cabelas package. Seems like a good deal. Maybe I should stop being cheap. I just don't shoot enough to justify spending much money. I normally only shoot about 100 rounds a year. Some might ask why I load at all. My answer, to get the best result I can for that rifle with the ballet I want to shoot.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

THIS set is a GOOD setup. Have had mine for 8+ years.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/414369 ... r-110-volt
itzdirty

Post by itzdirty »

The wife stopped at cabelas, yesterday, on her way home from errands. She bought me the tumbler kit. Works nice. Runs pretty quiet. After 2 hours I still have some residue on the neck. Any recommends for getting rid of that?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I usually run my tumbler overnight, 6 to 8 hours. No trace of neck carbon at all. Two hours is just not enough to do anything to the neck carbon.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I have to agree with RIO, 2 hrs is just not long enough. I also tumble my brass for over 6 hrs. Anytime I change out my media, I do add Lymans's Turbo Charger. This also aids in cleaning your brass. A little goes a long way! ;)
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
itzdirty

Post by itzdirty »

Thanks fellas. Back in the pot they go.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

I don't hear about it much, but I bought a RCBS ultra sonic cleaner that I use and love it. Maybe not as shiny as a tumbler but primer pockets & inside look like new. No cleaning primer pockets or media out. I can always tumble for a shine. JD Southeast Texas
oldfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator

Post by oldfox »

As a newbie to reloading, which way is quieter.....tumbler or sonic?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

oldfox wrote:As a newbie to reloading, which way is quieter.....tumbler or sonic?
From what I have seen of the machines, sonic. Bill K :)
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

Bill K wrote:
oldfox wrote:As a newbie to reloading, which way is quieter.....tumbler or sonic?
From what I have seen of the machines, sonic. Bill K :)
Indeed, not even close. The ultrasonic cleaners have a small buzz, that's about it. But, IMHO, all of the rinsing and drying doesn't make it worth it. I just put the old vibratory tumbler out in the garage, turn it on, and forget about it. Later that day or night, I go out there, realize that I started it, and the brass is nice and shiny.

Izdirty... a couple of tips for the tumbler. First, as a "new tumbler/media" break-in, take three or four brand-new dryer sheets, throw them in, turn it on, and let the tumbler run for half an hour or so. That will help somewhat with static. Second, while you're out, pick up a bottle of "NuFinish" in the car polish section of Wally World, the car parts store, wherever. Each time you tumble, turn the tumbler on, pour a capfull into the tumbler, and let it run 10 minutes or so until all of the clumps are gone. THEN put your brass in, and let it go.

I occasionally put a used dryer sheet, cut into pieces, in with my brass as well to keep the static down over time.
itzdirty

Post by itzdirty »

Good tips twenty. Thank you. The static is pretty bad. Those little flakes are clinging to everything.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Out of the ultrasonic, I don't do much rinsing or drying. It comes with a basket, colander type, and I just dunk in clean water a couple times, pour on a towel and let the air/sun do the rest. IMHO, it's easier than tumbling, but that's why they make different colors to choose from. JD Texas