Silencer affecting shot

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
bear77
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage BTCSS

Silencer affecting shot

Post by bear77 »

Can someone explain to me why or how the silencer (about 4 lbs) affects the hit placement by about five inches. Shooting a savage 204 26" heavy barrel stainless free floating with a thumbhole stock. Obviously with the silencer it hits right on and taking it off raises the impact at 100 yards by about five inches.

If I wanted to stop this, is there a way without compromising accuracy?

Today was the first day with the silencer and it is awesome and I also think I found my load 28.7gr of 4895 with the 32 Vmax!

Thanks,
Chris in Michigan
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Re: Silencer affecting shot

Post by TwentyBore »

One reason I've seen mentioned often is that the threads are not *quite* concentric to the bore. Factory barrels are notorious for it, and threads done by a gunsmith vary in concentricity by gunsmith, and sometimes by the day it was done...
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

Think about this. You're adding weight to the end of the barrel and that changes the harmonics. The barrel won't rise and fall at the same rate it does without the extra weight hanging out front.
Best thing to do is tune your loads with the added weight and then without for best accuracy. ;)
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Nor Cal Mikie wrote:Think about this. You're adding weight to the end of the barrel and that changes the harmonics. The barrel won't rise and fall at the same rate it does without the extra weight hanging out front.
Best thing to do is tune your loads with the added weight and then without for best accuracy. ;)
Agree with Mike... You probably will need to work up two loads for accuracy. :) One with and one without the suppresser. Bill K :)
bear77
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage BTCSS

Post by bear77 »

Thanks for the responses. My dad and I had ruled out the harmonics in our minds, only cause we don't know enough. But sounds like you do know and sounds more realistic than our own theory!

Thanks very much for the information,
Chris
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

You may also want to make sure the baffles on your suppressor are not interfering with the path of the bullet. Being even slightly non-concentric will throw your shots off every time too.

We change between a M700 bolt gun in 223 and 204 between AR's and find that all rifles shoot to POI every time when switching the suppressor from rifle to rifle, so sumthin's amiss there with yours. I'd thoroughly check it out before trying to work up a pet load in the rifle equipped with the suppressor.

The bolt gun w/suppressor:

Son Dave having rat-launching fun with the Noveske AR:

Have your smith check the barrel threads to ensure perfect concentricity, or it'll never be right. :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Also, if it's not concentric there is an increased risk of a baffle strike. HUGH pain in the rear if that happens! Gary