Custom Reloading Tools: Bushings

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Custom Reloading Tools: Bushings

Post by RAMOS »

As many here know, Brad at CRT has been producing and selling die bushings of his own design for some time now. I recently received three of these to use when forming and reloading brass. I am most familiar with the bushings offered by Redding, specifically the Ti coated ones. I have always liked these as they have less drag compared to their standard bushing. The bushings from CRT are not coated but, they are hardened to RC 60. They have a highly polished, super smooth finish on the inside and a nice radius on the entry. The three that I have used feel every bit as 'slick' as my coated bushings and size a bit closer to the neck/shoulder junction. The kicker here is, at $15/bushing, a guy can darn near buy two of these for the price of a single Redding Ti bushing. I am not affiliated with Brad or Custom Reloading Tools, LLC. Just felt it right to give credit where it is due and let you guys in on a heckuva value if you happened to not be aware of it.

Note: These bushings are new to me. However, I have had 500 pieces of brass through them. I have had the brass and bushings under an 8X lupe before and after use looking for imperfections. If I had any reservations or negative comments about them, I would have shared them as well. Just a very satisfied customer sharing what I have experienced!
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Custom Reloading Tools: Bushings

Post by RAMOS »

Hey, guys. A couple of things have come to my attention since starting this thread that should be mentioned.

Redding die bushings are also hardened to RC 60, can't find the rating for the Wilson bushings. This makes my price comparison to the Redding Ti coated bushings irrelevant.

Redding and Wilson bushings are manufactured with a 0.0005" taper. Big end on the engraved side. The CRT bushings have zero taper, they are a straight wall bushing. I can see advantages either way on this.

I stand behind the rest of my original comments. They may just be opinions/impressions but, they ARE mine. I love the entry radius and the smooth inside finish. Still extremely satisfied with my purchase. If you need to add to your bushing collection, give the CRT's a try!
bjsiillinois
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12, 204, Savage Model 12 Custom

Re: Custom Reloading Tools: Bushings

Post by bjsiillinois »

Ramos,
I too use Redding Competition Dies, and buy the ti-coated neck bushings. Can you use these bushings in Redding dies? I have a fortune in neck bushings, and this would be a big cost saver