A-MAX BULLET FOR HUNTING?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

A-MAX BULLET FOR HUNTING?

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hello. My question is has anyone had any experience using the 52 grain A-MAX bullet in 22 caliber for hunting small game up to coyote size? I can't seem to find much about it for hunting. I was bored so I ordered 2 boxes & loaded some for my VSSF I/Sendero in 220 Swift. First 3 shots I thought 2 of them went off the target. Not the case. I hate to post this but the group was .088. I never repeated that but still shot some high 1's & 2's (3 shots). I'd love to use them for varmints if they don't "splash". If you know or heard anything about these I'd appreciate the information. Thanks,
Jim D :camper:
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: A-MAX BULLET FOR HUNTING?

Post by Bill K »

Unless I am mistaken, the A-max is supposed to hold together better than the V-max, so I would not believe the would "Splash" or explode like the V-max does on varmints. As for Coyote size targets, they should enter, just fine, but then they might just exit and leave a good sized exit hole/damage, where the V-max stays inside and does the damage. At least the v-max that I have used did not exit on coyotes and it put them down on the spot, when hit in the lung/heart or head on in the chest areas. I guess in your 220 swift you will just have to hit one or two, say coyotes, and see how they preform. As for me, I do not salvage the skins on the coyotes I shoot, so it matters not, really, too me other than putting them down. So far the v-max works just fine, as do a couple other bullet. in the 30-35 grain area. Bill K :)
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Thanks Bill.
JD
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Used them in my 22-250 with Pro Varmint powder and they were awesome. Also used the A-Max in my 243 for Antelope, excellent results.
bigdaddyWSM
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Post by bigdaddyWSM »

I have many coytes with 6mmCM 105 Amax, anything smaller caliber i use Vmax, should work no problmem though.