Trimming brass

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Coyotecontrole
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps 12" twist w/bell&carl tac stk timney trigger

Trimming brass

Post by Coyotecontrole »

Im new to reloading and i want to know when i should trim my brass. My fired one time shell dont show any sine of strecthing.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Trimming brass

Post by Bill K »

You will not know for sure the length, unless you measure it. just looking does not really tell. Trim and keep it within the limits for that cartridge, then you know you are running it safe and within limits. Bill K :)
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I am guessing, you are talking 204R. Your brass in the 204 does not stretch much, unless you are loading "HOT" :twisted:

If you don't have a caliper, get one. A caliper is the only way to get an accurate measurement, other than a micrometer, to check the length of said brass. No need to trim until brass is about .010 over max length. At that time, only trim back to minimum length, which is shown in your reloading manual, or trim back to the length of your shortest brass.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Measure your chamber length and trim a couple thousandths shorter than that. Published 'trim-to' length is most likely shorter than needed.
Coyotecontrole
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps 12" twist w/bell&carl tac stk timney trigger

Post by Coyotecontrole »

I am a 204r shooter and i do own a caliper. All he reading I have done made it seen like id be trimming every reload. To tell ya the truth I've measured 150 cases so far and not one was longer of ever the same length as new brass. All slightly shorter. Is that normal
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

Most chambers are "about" .020" longer than Max Trim length. Best to measure your chamber write that measurement down and refer to it when you start checking brass at reloading time.
I have BR brass with 20 to 25 + reloads on them and they still don't need trimming. I use bushing bump dies that keep the cases from growing.
Sinclair Int. makes chamber measuring plugs so you'll know the actual "measured" length of your chamber.
EVERY one of my chambers is measured and that measurement is written down so there's no guess work when it comes to trimming or not.
At the same time, measure the freebore so you know how to set the OAL to reach the lands, or not.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

As mentioned, spend the bucks and buy a good quality set of calipers.

A handy tool that gives a visual reference for case OAL (Min & Max) and sizing (over & under) is a "Wilson Case gage". I have them for all of my calibers except 20VT.

HTH
DannoBoone
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator .204

Post by DannoBoone »

Any brass I've bought the past few years is all shorter than my Hornady handbook states
for "trimmed" length. Keep wondering WHY?
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

DannoBoone wrote:Any brass I've bought the past few years is all shorter than my Hornady handbook state
That is a very good reason to Fire Form your brass before you even think about trimming that precious brass. Once fire formed, check for need for trimming, but my guess is you still will not need to even trim the longest piece of brass. And if you only neck size your brass, it will be a long time before you need to trim. It is a good idea to check tho, so you can keep track of what is going on with your brass. Full length sizing will cause your brass to stretch each time you run your brass thru that FL die, thus the reason for neck sizing.

Just my 2 cents
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.