Nosler Varmageddon tipped bullets

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Nosler Varmageddon tipped bullets

Post by TEXAS222 »

Is anyone using the tipped Varmageddon bullets in their 204's or 224's? I was wanting to know mostly what kind of accuracy your getting but also how they perform. Thanks for any information.
Jim D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Nosler Varmageddon tipped bullets

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim,
I've been using the Varmageddon tipped slugs in my 204's, 20 Vartarg, 221 Fireball and 223's. Normally my rat-standard bullet is the Ballistic Tip, but I've found that the tipped Varm's shoot just as good, maybe actually better in each rifle I use them in. As far as field performance is concerned, let's just say that every rock chuck or squirrel I've shot with them as been quite impressed. ;)

I don't shoot much paper as most of my shooting is at hair here, but here's a small example of the .20 cal. 32gr Varmageddon compared with the same weight in Ballistic Tip:

You may note the slight reduction in speed with the exact same powder charge. I attribute that to a very slight increase in bearing length for the Varmageddon, as it's a flat-base vs. the boat tail design of the BT. Both bullets shoot well in all my rifles, but if given the choice of only using one, unless I'm shooting over 300 yards, the flat-base Varmageddon would be my choice.

Not a very scientific comparison I know, but shooting paper is not really my thing. What I do know is that critters fly 'way out there' using either one. :mrgreen:

As for field performance, I can offer the shot below of a rock chuck shot at just over 230 yards a couple of months ago using my 20VT and the 32gr Varmageddon Tipped.....not even a flip of the tail, just flew off his rock DRT:

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the tipped version in any of your rifles. :D
HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Plus 1 for what RIO says. I too use them in my 20VT, 20SCC, and also 20TAC. Like them a lot, squirrels and rock chucks have a different
out look though.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I also use them, and they are just what RIO and Varmint Shooter say. Try them, you will like them. :D Bill K :) And as a side note, if you want to try their lead free one's, which work great also. They are presently on sale with Midway USA, til they last.... :wink:
oldfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator

Post by oldfox »

You might want to check Cabelas also, as they have 25% off on Nosler bullets...
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Thanks guys for the feedback. Rick, nice groups & that bullet sure did a number on that poor critter. A neighbor friend of mine had 400-224-40 gr.,700-224-55 gr., &600-204-32 gr. He said give him $150 & so I did even though it's 100 degrees or over every day & I'm not shooting now. Have to wait here in Texas until Nov. or Dec. when it's a nice 50-60 degrees. HA! Guess I'll just sit in the a/c & work on some loads. Thanks again,
Jim D. :wave:
eloy
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson compass

Post by eloy »

I have used 32gr hollow points and I am grouping five shot groups under two inches but I do shot once a week.