Need primer help please!

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Need primer help please!

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hi! Back when things were hard to get, I wound up with several thousand primers, Federal 205MAR, match AR primers supposedly with harder cups. I loaded some for my AR & they shot fine just not as accurate as the 7 1/2 BR Rem. Maybe I just needed to tweek the load but I didn't play with them much before a re-supply of Remington's. My questions are, has anyone used these? How did you find accuracy? And mostly, are these too hard on a bolt action firing pin to use with a bolt gun? Any help or comments will be appreciated, thank you,
Jim D
Southeast Texas :help:
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Need primer help please!

Post by futuretrades »

Tejas, I have never heard of this primer, but I don't own an AR. But I don't think that they are "so" hard, that they wouldn't work in a bolt gun. If it was me, I would go ahead and load a few loads using that primer and make sure they are going to work in your bolt gun. All primers are designed to do the same thing. To ignite the powder in a round. Some primers have a thicker cup because of the pressures involved in different rounds.
You will probably have to do some load testing to find the "Sweet Spot" for accuracy, again. :D
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I use Federal 210 gold match bullets all the time with good results, but not the small rifle. I am with you in that I only shoot Rem 7 1/2 match in all my small rifles, including ARs.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I do not believe that the term is the cup is harder, but that it is thicker, as some others are, so that they do not pierce ( in higher pressure loads) and/or go off prematurely as in a AR or semi-auto. They should work just fine in your bolt rifle, As for load/accuracy, you will have to test that in your loads and/or work up accurate loads as you would with any change of components. Bill K :)
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Interesting on the Fed primer. I have been using the #41, mentioned and it has worked just fine in my AR's, bolt and single shot firearms. But still the Rem 7.5 does also. I guess it boils down to a persons choice and satisfaction. May have to compare the new fed primer however. Bill K :)
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

One thing I liked about that blurb is that it highlights different ways the different companies go about reducing primer sensitivity. The one changes both cup thickness and anvil height, whereas the other apparently changes the cup hardness. I find the methods and technologies aspect of production interesting.
Daisy221
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Daisy221 »

Hello there! I am newbie here .
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Daisy221

Welcome. I sent you a Private Message.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
slickshot223
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage, Kimber, Contender

Post by slickshot223 »

Anytime you change primers you need to revisit the accuracy of your load!! Primer changes will effect the load!!
eloy
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson compass

Post by eloy »

I'm originally from south Texas but have lived in Tennessee now for over 30years. I still hunt and visit family in the rio grande valley. As far as primer I have obtained very good results with Winchester and CCI. Both very good primers, if I were to have a choice between the two I would lean toward the CCI but price is always a consideration, so I just buy the cheaper of the two. I have used some federal but had a couple misfires but will not pass judgment on them because I have not used them enough and some of my friends seem to think they are good. I can say one thing inspite of having a cheap rifle (less than $300) my friends still can't beat me at the range.
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

Post by hoppy »

have just started using 7.5's in my 204 loads after having used win primers for .223 previously . yesterday I had my first ever primer failure (in 40 odd years of reloading) - squeezed the trigger on the sako and click! - that lucky roo gets to live another day - the previous 5 were all good and a later shot also worked for six humane head shot kills - not a nice feeling for a minute after hearing the ominous click - have had this happen a few times with factory trap loads in the 12 gauge but never in centerfire. Load is 39bk, 26.8 gn of 2206H in Hornady case 7.5 primer
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Can not answer why, but I can say I have used Rem 7.5's for a good number of years and have never had a problem with them. Maybe just a bad one or you somehow contaminated one. I would keep using the one's you have and see if it happens again. Bill K
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

TEXAS222; did you ever shoot the ar match primers??, I've read the cups are thicker,wondering what results were.I have seen them advertised on sale once in a while.Might try them if i can find more info on them.Anybody got any more info on these; would be appreciated.varget204