22/250 dies

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
cobra94
.204 Ruger Guns: (2) M77 MII Ruger, #1 Ruger stainless/laminate

22/250 dies

Post by cobra94 »

I bought a Lyman Spartan press and a couple sets of Lyman dies on eBay a couple years ago, the seller shipped the press in the original box inside a new box, the post mark on the original box was from 1971. The press was new and had never been assembled and the dies looked to be new as well. I can NOT get a case into the sizing die without the case sticking, it lacks about 3/8" from completely entering the die. I have had to extract two cases from the die after sticking them. I have tried cases from a couple different rifles and had the same results. A friend let me use his RCBS die and the cases size normally with these dies, even after running them through the RCBS die they will not size in the Lyman die. Any ideas as to why the older dies won't work? Would the tolerances be different on the older set of dies? I have also cleaned and lightly lube the die prior to using. I have reloaded for several years and have never had this kind of problem, sorta at a loss on this one.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Re: 22/250 dies

Post by randyman »

This is just a guess and I know you said you cleaned and lubed the die but maybe there's some corrosion or machining defects built up inside it. If your brass sizes ok in other dies then I suspect you've got a bad one. You could try contacting Lyman and see if they have any ideas. Randy.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

First take them apart and clean them very well and check for any obstruction, etc. \ Second are you sure they are 22-250 and not a special order and in 20-250 caliber. Bill K :)
cobra94
.204 Ruger Guns: (2) M77 MII Ruger, #1 Ruger stainless/laminate

Post by cobra94 »

Thanks for the input on this problem. Next step is to contact Lyman and see if the can check them out. Again, thank you!