Is the Cost of Reloading really worth it?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Hoot
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom rifles of all types

Is the Cost of Reloading really worth it?

Post by Hoot »

I did a complete cost component analysis on all of the reloading components such as brass, powder, primers and bullets and used a formula to divide those costs against how many rounds could be produced. The cost of the rounds came up to somewhere between $.75 and $1.09 per round. I then went to check out the cost of buying .204 Ruger loaded ammo in the same bulk quantity of those rounds I was going to self load. The cost is so close and quite frankly sometime cheaper buying loaded ammunition (depending upon the brand) it really caused me to ask if reloading was really cost effective any longer. I still love the hobby of reloading to develop a specific recipe for each one of my rifles but from a cost benefit analysis this seems to be a losing proposition in every way and it doesn't take into consideration my actual time costs or amortize the cost of the equipment that must be purchased to perform the act itself. When I can buy Dog Town, Hornady or Fiocchi ammo that groups under .360 in my rifles why am I killing myself to reload anymore???
Last edited by Hoot on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“God created war so that Americans would learn geography.”
― Mark Twain
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Is the Cost of Reloading really worth it?

Post by skipper »

Wouldn't the per round cost decrease as you reused the original brass? Less components should reduce the cost.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Hoot

Post by Hoot »

That's a really good point skipper. The cost of brass could be amortized across several reloadings instead of taking it all at once on the first round. If you do this in my table and assume that you can reload the brass a minimum of 5 times (being conservative) It drops the cost per round down by $.20 per round. With that said it gets you much closer. The only thing left is the time spent which I'm not sure I could ever calculate accurately anyway.
― Mark Twain
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I think you would also have to add the investment in reloading equipment to make a worthwhile calculation. The original question was if it was worth it? Over a lifetime, I would assume that you would spend less money reloading. I don't know for sure. However, the satisfaction of reloading is priceless. That's not even mentioning the benefit that your reloads are probably a higher quality AND custom fitted to your particular rifle and caliber. Plus you have the tools necessary to load wildcat calibers and experiment with other variables. Now, if you like to tinker like i do, you'll definitely lean towards reloading.

Good discussion!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I have sometimes wonder, as you have Hoot, if it saves and is worth the time. But I also believe along the lines of Skipper, in the long haul I personally believe you can save some money. It just adds to our sport by reloading and working up a load for your rifle that works better than the factory ammo.
Plus the ability to load wildcat cartridges, if you get involved in that side of the shooting sports.
I also just enjoy the fact and satisfaction of using a round that I reloaded to take a animal or hit the bullseye on a target.
Sort of like the enjoyment you get by taking a fish with a fly you hand tied. Or your vehicle engine that you rebuilt and put some time, effort and enjoyment into and seeing the end result work well.
Like Skipper said, enjoyable discussion. Bill K :)
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

I don't know where you get your componets,I Figured Out How Much I spend for 204 ruger.Primer cost,$30 a 1000.Powder $28.50 to $30 a pound,Bullets Hornady $16 to $17 a 1000,PRICE PER Box, 60 cents for primer,powder [28 grains/250 per pound\ $2.30 to $3.60 box of 20,Once you have brass $ 0,Thats $6 .20 to $7.50 a box of 20, Thats 31 to 38 CENTS A PIECE. If i load Sierra 39 Blitz King they cost$1.30 more a box, for the bullets. I shop around ,Brownells just had sale on Powder,primers,Zero Hazmat fee and $.001 shipping,Natchez currently has Free Hazmat or 10 % off,I buy bullets when on sale /w/free shipping.The last order was 3000,for $16,48 a hundred delivered to my front door.Have Never seen Factory ammo i could purchase for $6 to $8 a box.If i could buy for the same price,I would Still reload,my shells are more accurate than Factory.What ever bullet in the caliber i/m looking for ,i check internet for lowest price,If you can not afford it,get w/ a couple of BUD's and buy in Quantity.Varget204
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

I calculated my cost per round last year and it came to .37 cents per round. I don't remember how I figured the cost of the brass, probably took the price of 100 new brass and divided that by 10. Another benefit to us living in Ca. is not having to purchase factory ammo from licensed dealers as we can't order it on-line and have it delivered to the house. All new ammo purchasing laws go into effect in July but so far the restrictions don't apply to reloading-yet! Don't even get me started on the whole lead-free deal. Randy.
bloc
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage FCV

Post by bloc »

To me, the process of reloading is very pleasurable in and of itself. I, too, love producing ammo that shoots the bullets I prefer more accurately than ammo I can purchase off the shelf.

I like the tinkering, the measuring, the snooping through my reloading manuals and records, and the anticipation of yet a more accurate load.

I find experimenting to be fun and for each new load I eagerly await range-time to see what I get . . . like a kid does Xmas morning.

Nailing ground squirrels with a rifle whose quirks I’ve learned shooting ammo I’ve made gives me a sense of great personal satisfaction.

HOWEVER . . . considering how much I spend on reloading, shooting and hunting and how much I love them, any cost savings of “rolling my own” very accurate cartridges are merely a bonus, and I’m pretty sure I’ve spent much more on reloading than I’ve saved: over the years, I have many boxes of bullets that turned out not to shoot well. While it was fun working up those loads, I now have a lot of supplies and reloading gadgets that I will seldom or never use. So they have to be factored into any cost/benefit analysis, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I’m way WAY deep in the hole.
Hoot

Post by Hoot »

Well I have learned a few things from this thread. 1) People are considering costs very differently when it comes to assigning value to the cost per round figure. I think this is ok actually. It shows us all what we place value on whether it be components, equipment, time, etc. 2) I agree with the guys who mentioned the intrinsic value and enjoyment that they get from knowing they were the ones who created a load specifically matched to their rifle.\ I must admit that I get the same satisfaction when reloading as many of you mentioned. It's somewhat reassuring to me as well to know that I was the cook in the kitchen who put the recipe together, mixed all the ingredients and served it up at 4000 ft/p/s. 3) I think the answer to the question is not always found at the end of the cash register receipt. It can also be found by sitting back and studying the results at the end of the day with one well performing shot followed by another and another. Happy Shooting.
― Mark Twain
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Thanks there, Hoot. You pretty much summed up the way most of us feel here.

Good job, and welcome to the forum. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

Shout out to everyone reloading,Brownells has $.001 shipping w/ free hazmat on orders over $ 150 till Midnight
Three44s
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 11

Post by Three44s »

Compared to a bar stool? Yes

I have only one cartridge out of 20+ that I handload for in which the factory ammo rivals my loads.

That just happens to be the 204 Ruger!

I still handload for it because I am set up for it and handloading is “what I do “ for a hobby.

I could sit on a bar stool. I could get a boat, chase wild women and end up divorced. Whatever I did, it would cost money.

When I am in my man cave my wife knows exactly where I am and the company I am keeping.

I am saving some amount of money. Does it pay my wages? Well does sitting on a bar stool pay well?

Does sitting watching TV pay wages?

If you have components that you are not using then trade or sell them on the net. If it is a powder or primers do a face to face transaction.

Try getting a rebate on the heat you store in that bar stool.

Three44s
jimreed1948
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by jimreed1948 »

I now shoot a lot of 20 Vartarg and the only place I know that sells the ammunition is Hendershots. I bought a box (20 rounds) from them and most of them shot okay. Some would not even chamber. With the cost of those rounds and shipping it was over $2.00 a shot.

Thanks to Rick in Oregon and RAMOS from the Saubier form, I now have a very slick setup for forming and loading 223 brass to 20VT brass.

Being retired, I probably spend more time at what I do than others, but that's okay for me. Others might need to crank out more rounds faster for other reasons. I couldn't tell you what each round cost and I really don't care. For me it's doing something I like and I put out very accurate rounds.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Very fine comments Jim.. I think a lot of us more mature folks think along the same lines. Bill K
tunnug
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle

Post by tunnug »

I started reloading in the early 80's to save money, should start seeing the savings any time now.........lol!!

In reality I shoot a lot of odd calibers which are expensive if not impossible to find, by reloading I not only save the trouble of looking and paying out the nose for them, I can also tailor the loads to my and the guns liking, plus like others have said, I also enjoy the process and alone time it gives me.