Chargemaster Question

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Chargemaster Question

Post by skipper »

Cleanup after reloading is a chore when the powder adheres itself to the dispenser. I've tried dryer sheets, etc. but I still get powder glued to the interior of my equipment. Is it just Houston's notorious humidity OR is this the norm for other locations?

ChargemasterCleanup.jpg
ChargemasterCleanup.jpg (68.48 KiB) Viewed 5089 times
I have several brushes I use to dislodge powder from the inside of my Chargemester but it is a bear to clean up. What do you use??

ChargemasterCleanup2.jpg
ChargemasterCleanup2.jpg (102.91 KiB) Viewed 5089 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Re: Chargemaster Question

Post by randyman »

I usually have a little bit stuck to the sides but not what's shown in your photo. I just use the little paint brush that came with the unit to sweep it all into the hopper. That's when I realize that I forgot to close the drain port. I should just turn the unit upside down and get it all over my table and be done with it! R!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I do ripe the inside down with a dryer sheet, but I also shake and brush with the brush that came with the my unit, and also tip and shake/tap the unit to dislodge any grains left in the feeder tube. Never had it really stick as your photo shows. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skip, my guess is indeed your humidity there, as I've got six powder measures on presses and the bench, two tricklers, and I've never had powder-stick like you're experiencing, but I'll admit that I live on the high desert with extreme low humidity.

The few times I've had any powder cling, a dryer sheet cured the issue right away, so again, it's probably the humidity if a dryer sheet made no difference. Guess we'd all like climate-controlled reloading rooms. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper

Post by skipper »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:33 pm Guess we'd all like climate-controlled reloading rooms. :D
Where do I sign up? Can I get a refrigerator, too??
skipper

Post by skipper »

Oh yeah, the picture was taken AFTER I knocked most of it off. The other powder measures I have do the same thing. I'll take a before picture next time.
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

Wow. That is to the point of being gummy. If I had that going on I would be quite worried.
I would wonder if there is some type of chemical reaction going on.
I wipe my measures down with denatured alcohol, let dry and dust with a little graphite.

I pulled some handloads down a while back that I was gifted for components. All I ended up with was projectiles. Powder was “gummy” in all of them.
skipper

Post by skipper »

It is unnerving, but I haven't had any problems even on cartridges I loaded years ago. Once I load my ammo it moves indoors to a safe in the air-conditioning. I believe that manufacturers routinely put some kind of coating on powders to control the speed they burn, etc. That may be what is happening. I don't normally have that problem with extruded powders.

However, I'm not a powder expert which is why I ask if others have experienced the same thing.