press lubrication

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
hogan
.204 Ruger Guns: Mossberg MVP predator

press lubrication

Post by hogan »

What are you guys using to lube the ram on your press?
I am using a silicone spray, but I have worn out my press in about 5 years.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: press lubrication

Post by Bill K »

I have always rubbed a very light coating of oil, something like 3-1 or even Ballistol on my press rams. The old C&H is still going since bought in 1955, the Herter's, double ram, around 1960 and my old standby, Rock Chucker, from the 60's ( I believe) sure not worrying about wearing them out and they have done thousands of rifle and pistol cases. :D Bill K :)
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

Keeping a press clean and all the crap from depriming wiped or flushed off is a major thing.
I know several people that deprme and then clean their brass before resizing.
I have four progressive presses, two RC and a Forster coax. Bought one of the five gallon bucket shop vacs and clean up majority of stuff with that then a good flush or wipe down if not both.
Pivot point I grease if I can. Rams get oil, seems oil doesn’t attract crud as bad.
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

I've tried 3n1 oil, silicone and other types of lube sprays, all work well but you still need to clean/lube on a regular basis IMO. I have a mid 80's vintage LEE single stage that I deprime on and it gets pretty dirty from that function, so it gets cleaned/lubed more often than the other LEE single stage I use for all other reloading functions. Both are still going strong IMO but I don't load the magnum calibers.
Master Piddler ;)
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Post by triggerfingers »

I was told by a person at Dillon to use mobile one synthetic… Works good on their press and I use it on my others too. Again, have to keep it clean and lubed.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

triggerfingers wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 amI was told by a person at Dillon to use mobile one synthetic… Works good on their press and I use it on my others too. Again, have to keep it clean and lubed.
Lots of good suggestions there. I wore out my old Rockchucker after 35 years of use, and it was always kept properly lubed. It's a machine, so machines wear out, period. It was replaced with a Redding Pro-Mag press. Nothing wrong with the Rockchucker, I just wanted something a bit more robust.

I'm of the belief that virtually any quality lube is sufficient for a reloading press, (it's not high pressure, high heat/intensity) but as has been mentioned, it also must be kept clean.

At this point in time, I'm more concerned with the availability of components, especially with a new anti-gun libtard administration ready to take over. :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

It is and has been time to really stock up and go into covert operations, with a lot of our toys and supplies. It is going to get really bad with Biden/Harris and their followers in place and putting into their agenda and moving the USA onto the path that Venesuela and other's fell for. :mad: Bill K :)