OAL question

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

OAL question

Post by foxwhistler »

Hi. I've just bought a H.S precision stock and a lucky 13 magazine system for my 204, only to find out that my C.O.A.L is way to long for the magazine to work! The problem is that this load works brilliantly in my rifle! I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with shortening the oal on a cartridge and keeping the accuracy?
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: OAL question

Post by skipper »

In reality, you need to determine the actual seating length to reach the lands and grooves. That distance will probably exceed the COAL of your magazine. 204 Ruger COAL is very generous in production rifles. The lands and grooves of your typical production rifle are going to be way out there. In other words, you're not going to be able to seat your rounds long enough to reach the lands and grooves.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
foxwhistler

Post by foxwhistler »

At the moment using Sierra b/kings 39gr the COAL is 2.340 inches, and I think still not near the lands, but a very accurate load! The problem is that its about 0.1 too long for the magazine!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

If you want to load single shot, then you can probably find a accurate load that will work and may reach your lands.
But if you are going to want a load that fits your magazine, then you just have to find a accurate load the will work that way and forget trying to reach the lands. It will all depend on your rifle and wants. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

FW: Not sure of your intended purpose, but most here that shoot the 204 for colony rodents shoot single shot, that way we can load as long as we want to reach the lands without using the restrictive magazine.

My most accurate 204 loads (.25 MOA) are all too long to fit the magazine in any of my 204's that have a magazine, but no worries, as they all shoot like a house on fire. If you want or need a repeater, forget ever reaching the lands in ANY factory 204R rifle unless you have a custom barrel/chamber set up. I did that with my 204 Match reamer with zero freebore in a Pac-Nor Super Match to reach the lands, but it's expensive for a new barrel and the needed custom work. But very much worth the cost and effort.....to me. :wink:

The finished and blueprinted M700 with the Match chamber 204R:

The downside of this work, is that no factory ammunition can be used in this rifle. No big deal to me, as I've never shot factory ammo anyway.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

foxwhistler

Post by foxwhistler »

Most of my shooting with the 204 Is foxing, and although it is very, very rare, the ability to take a quick follow up shot is fairly important! Funnily enough i was considering a rebarrel, but I've got my eye on another rifle now!
foxwhistler

Post by foxwhistler »

Well still keeping the 204 for foxes, but looking for something for long range shooting!
17hm2lover
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center 15" Bull Fluted

Post by 17hm2lover »

I have a Savage 110 .223 BVSS. OAL my loads is 2.275, Max. OAL is 2.350. I have no problem hitting gophers at 400 yards. My Savage 12 in a .204R is the same way. I asked my gunsmith if he would cut the barrel down and rechamber, he ask me does the rifle shoot well? I said yes, he said leave it alone so I have.