Tumbling media-

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Tumbling media-

Post by Tom Kat »

Lately I have been using walnut hulls. I add a little Nu Finish and run a batch for about 1.5 hrs to good effect. What dry tumbling methods, tips, and tricks do you have?
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Tumbling media-

Post by skipper »

Do a search for my Stainless Steel Media thread in this forum.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thats pretty cool. I also wet tumble and use ss pins. It seems as though you have found some that work on dry tumbling, which is new to me.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I used corn cobs for years but have found I like the walnut hulls and/or wet tumbling better.

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

The stainless steel media I use now was sent to me by Bill K. It's much better than the pins. They get stuck in the case necks of my pistol brass. It IS a WET process though. Get a wet tumbler that lets you use the stainless steel media in water and throw in some Lemi Shine in to boot. Really brightens up your brass. Clean inside and out, plus no picking media out of the firing pin holes like with walnut hulls. Lemi Shine is sold on the dishwashing detergent isle of your local grocer. Use it in your dishwasher too for some squeaky clean and shiny dishes.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Yep, I am using Lemishine both in my wet tumbler and my home dishwasher. We have very hard water here. I have not found anything to out clean the wet tumbling of ss pins. But for straight wall cases I use the walnut hulls. I save my wet tumbling for bottleneck cases. I have an elaborate system of screens and magnets I use to seperate the ss pins when I am done.

John Maynard Keynes
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Tom Kat wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:03 am I have not found anything to out clean the wet tumbling of ss pins.
Neither have I. The one thing with the SS cleaning I have found out is to rinse it very thoroughly.