Chasing Accuracy

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Chasing Accuracy

Post by skipper »

The link below is to an article I found years ago on 6mmbr.com. I use it as a guide to reloading for accuracy. We have discussed this topic at length in the past but it bears repeating for those that are new to the forum. Some of us have way too much time on our hands and I'm just a tinkerer at heart so this OCDism is right up my alley. BE WARNED, once the bug bites...

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technic ... case-prep/
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Re: Chasing Accuracy

Post by jsh »

I don’t really mind the case prep myself. But I have to remind myself what is the task or intended purpose.
I made the 221FB cases from 223 and 222. I used all virgin brass. The 222 showed better end results with less neck turning required.

My BR case stuff I asked for a no turn neck. After firing I was satisfied that I could skim turn and knock off the high spots. It helped on the 6 and 22, I fired two rounds through the 20 and made the decision to just go ahead and skim it as well while doing everything else.

Some folks look at case prep as a major chore. I see it as eliminating some problems before they are problems.

On my varmint ammo I just do a visual and cull pretty hard on anything abnormal.

I forget whom it was that said in a nut shell, if it matters to YOU then it matters. Others may say it is a waste of time. Shooting is a very mental game. You should go to the bench with ZERO doubts in your mind with all of your equipment. I have seen first hand guys with the best of the best do poorly because they thought they had issues with what ever. Only to have some one else shoot and do fantastic.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

That is interesting. I am happy to say I am doing over half of those things now. I dont weigh my cases. And I dont turn my case necks....but I have redding dies and do deburr the flash holes, trim to equal case length, and try to make everything as uniform as possible.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:59 am That is interesting. I am happy to say I am doing over half of those things now. I dont weigh my cases. And I dont turn my case necks....but I have redding dies and do deburr the flash holes, trim to equal case length, and try to make everything as uniform as possible.
Tom, it has been demonstrated that turning necks for a factory rifle chamber is not worth the effort unless you just want to eliminate uneven neck thickness' that influence neck tension. Your groups from that Ruger are certainly "minute of varmint". ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I appreciate that Rick. I am just going to keep on keeping on...I am hoping to get in a PD shoot this spring. That Ruger would do just fine on making red mist the way it is....
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Hmmm...I have done most of these things and the beauty is, you only have to do it once. To me, acceptable accuracy is what we define it and it can be different from one to another.

Once upon a time I was a highpower rifle competitor and while we shot at stationary targets from 100 to 1000 yards [depending on the course of fire] the one thing I learned; "the only way to make your target bigger is to make your groups smaller". So for my varmint calibers I've gone through the majority of the things mentioned therein. I would add, when possible, get the best brass you can afford because it alleviates a lot of inconsistencies.