You help on brass orginazation-

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

You help on brass orginazation-

Post by Tom Kat »

Help! I can never seem to keep all of my brass organized. What do you use? Do you have a method?

I go all out hillbilly and keep them in 50 different coffee cans and butter tubs. I am thinking about some stack able plastic containers....HELP!!!
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Re: You help on brass orginazation-

Post by Tom Kat »

This is what I have going on now-
brass.jpg
brass.jpg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 1044 times
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

If you're going to get serious about that storage system you're going to have to do a whole garage refit complete with shelving, bins, and workbench. I have 5 reloading presses, all mounted to plywood bases. That way I can just clamp them to the bench depending on what I'm reloading. I have a house with a double wide garage on the back and a single wide on the front of my motor court. I drive through a gate on the front of the house to the motor court. My reloading bench is in the single car garage where space is of a premium. YMMV
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I have some cabinets I have mounted...I need some shelves I guess

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

The trick of mounting your press on a sheet of plywood and clamping it to the bench really conserves precious real estate.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom, for a suggestion, consider my method of keeping all loaded ammo and brass in military .50 cal and .30 cal cans and label each one. The pic below shows one stack of my cans, there being four of these stacks in my gun room. Pistol and revolver ammo is separated from hunting and varmint brass and ammo, finding what I'm after is a simple matter of label reading.

This keeps everything organized and easy to find, but is certainly not the panacea of storage, just the method I employ. HTH :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thats a good idea. I have maybe 8-10 ammo cans, that would be a good first step

John Maynard Keynes
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

My system looked a lot like Ricks for a number of years. Have you ever noticed what you want/need is always on the bottom in the middle? Lol.

I did some rearranging a few years ago. A local school had a big auction. Buddy bought a huge lot of filing cabinets, 7 pickup loads along with 6 car trailer loads, he sold some to folks there that just wanted a few as well.
I was gifted all I wanted for helping load and unload and haul. I picked those with good roller bearings, should have took a couple more.
I can put boxes of dies on end and easily find what I am after. I put brass in heavy freezer bags. Boxes of brass from Starline stack in the nice as well.
I ended up with a card file also. I found it the ticket for storing bullets. Drawers are small card size, two to a drawer that can be removed. You can get a huge amount of bullets in them, wish I had another.

The older heavy cabinets are way better than the new ones. Drawers can be taken out in order to make moving a bit easier.