The plunk test

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

The plunk test

Post by Tom Kat »

I loaded some 45 acp today.
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: The plunk test

Post by Bill K »

Best to do that so you know they will cycle as they should, without issues in feeding and chambering. :D
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I have not had great luck with these, they dont tend to feed well. After they are all gone I will go back to round nose
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

The stubby flat nose one in a semi=auto can be a problem. A good polish on the feed ramp can help, sometimes. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom, in regard to the 'plunk test', keep in mind this test is valid only for the specific pistol you're loading for, and is a good way to ensure the round will chamber properly, but I'd recommend also having a chamber checker on the bench also, as these are chambered with actual .45 or 9mm chambering reamers and are viable for virtually all your pistols, not just the one that passed the plunk test.

On my bench you can see two chamber checkers, the black EGW has 8 'chambers' and is by far and away the most popular. The silver, single hole checker is from Lyman.

These are excellent gages to have on the bench for each caliber you're loading for, and will quickly become one of those tools you never knew you needed, but are glad you now have one.

And the 'flat nosed one' being referred to is what is considered to be the very best functioning, most accurate, and most popular SWC of all time, the H&G #68 (Hensley & Gibbs). I've been casting that bullet now for almost 50 years, have shot thousands of them through every 1911 I've owned and still do. In Bill Wilson's book, he refers to this bullet numerous times, as does all his co-authors.

It is said that if a 1911 will not function this bullet, the pistol needs to be corrected or sent down the road. It should function 100% in your gun, and if not, you should not just settle for a FMJ, but find out what the problem really is.

Here's Bill's book, considered to be THE reference for shooting, building a 1911 combat auto:

And a shot of Pg 184 that should be of interest:

And as Bill K. mentioned, a rough or unpolished feed ramp in the 1911 can be fixed up with the Dremel, the felt pad and some Flitz to make feeding like snot on glass on a hot day. Here's a peek at my Kimber Super Carry Ultra + 1911 .45 after a session in the shop. This one feeds virtually any bullet type or style with complete reliability and is one of my daily EDC's.

Here's a small sample of some of the bullet types I shoot in my 1911's. All function perfectly as they should, and having a properly tuned pistol is part of the equation too, the feed ramp being one of many aspects that may need attention to attain perfect feeding, but don't overlook your magazines, specifically the feed lips:

Hope some of this is of both help and interest, as it's no good having a pistol that only will function properly with one bullet type, when it should function perfectly with ALL bullet types to really be dependable.....and useful. :D

Oh, and before I forget, in regard to your water jug testing, you'll never find a 204R bullet after being shot into the jugs. The only thing you'll find is both core and jacket frags. I found this out years ago, but it's a good way to recover pistol bullets that are fired at much lower velocity. After years of watching both prairie dogs and ground squirrels get vaporized and chunk launched, sometimes finding a tiny jacket fragment, I have no hope of ever recovering a HV bullet shot into water. Maybe into a swimming pool, but don't expect much.

Those are all 9mm CD rounds that stopped in jug #5 from a 3" 9mm carry piece. HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Great post and pics. I have been looking at the chamber checkers and will get one eventually. This was just handy. I actually have 2 crimp dies for the 45acp.

These bullets are older. I have a high end 45 that didn't always like to feed them. I think I had the ocl too long. I will get ya a picture of my Springfield. I have owned 4 or 5 over the years. Love shooting a 45

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Here we go Rick. This is my bbq gun. It's the most accurate 45 I ever owned but it also has the best sights.
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20240204_193016.jpg
20240204_193007.jpg

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom, that's a nice SA 1911 .45 you've got there, buddy. :wtg:

Not a BBQ gun by any measure, but this is one of my favorite 1911 .45's in my stable. This one does indeed get carried.....a lot.

Kimber Super Carry Ultra +. Full size grip frame with bobtail butt, 3" barrel that I carry in a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB rig. It was purchased in rough shape used, sent to the mothership for a full refinish and complete rebuild, new night sights, the whole shebang. It shoots even better than it looks with virtually everything I've stuffed into it, factory and all my handloads.

Keeper? YES! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thank you, and thats a real pretty rig you got there, along with matching knife. We should start a new thread about knifes....

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Ya' know TK you sound a lot like me. The Marines spoiled me. I had the best of what Uncle Sam had to offer. I learned all about rifles and pistols while under the guidance of many top notch Subject Matter Experts. So when I buy a gun, especially pistols that I might depend on. I do the ultimate test. I load up a couple of magazines with every different round I can muster up. Then I take it to the range and start pulling the trigger. If it fails in any way, it's gone. Sold to some other sucker the next day. I'm just that picky. Sounds like you have a lot of "won't settle" in you. Congratulations!! I even use a lathe for case prep now.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

skipper wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:38 pm If it fails in any way, it's gone.
I'm the same way. It doesn't have to be the prettiest, the most expensive or the most accurate but it must function 100% of the time...no exceptions!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Folks, I wish I wasn’t getting on a plane tomorrow and again the following week because I could add my experiences to shooting bullets in water jugs.
Years ago, I did a bullet test with defensive type ammunition. I tested 380, 9mm, 38-SPL, 357, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 ACP. If the ammo was available in all of the calibers previously mentioned, I tested it for expansion, weight loss and how well the bullet held together. What I discovered was, some of the loads were better than others and the bullets work best in the velocity range they were designed for. Too high or too low may create expansion performance.

I tested the following type/brand of ammunition;
- Federal HST; performed very well in all calibers tested 9mm, 38-SPL, 40 S&W, 10mmand 45 ACP except the 380 where it was inconsistent.

- Federal Hydra-Shock; no expansion and inconsistent in a short barrel 38-SPL, it was acceptable in the 40 S&W and 380.

- Hornady XTP Custom; performed satisfactory in all calibers tested.

- HPR XTP Custom; performed satisfactory in 40 S&W but not in 10mm, not tested in other calibers.

- PMC Star Fire; performed satisfactory in 40 S&W and 38-SPL but came apart ion the 10mm.

- Remington Ultra Defense; performed satisfactory in 380 & 38-SPL not tested in other calibers.

- Remington Golden Saber; came apart in 357, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

- Sig-Sauer V-Crown; performed satisfactory in 380 & 45 ACP, not tested in other calibers.

- Speer Gold Dot; performed very well in all calibers tested except 380, 9mm, 38-SPL, 357, 10mm and 45 ACP.

- Speer Gold Dot [short barrel]; performed very well in 3” revolver.

- Winchester PDX-1; performed very well in 9mm, 38-SPL and 45 ACP.

- Winchester Ranger SXT; performed very well in 9mm & 40 S&W. not tested in other calibers.

- Winchester Ranger T; performed very well in 45 ACP, not tested in other calibers.

When my travels are complete I can post pictures if anyone is interested.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I scanned your list for Golden Sabers and there they were!! But not in a good way....I was also surprised to see XTPs didnt get 100 %. Those are 2 bullets with a good reputation. Maybe its just marketing.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

skipper wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:38 pm Ya' know TK you sound a lot like me. The Marines spoiled me. I had the best of what Uncle Sam had to offer. I learned all about rifles and pistols while under the guidance of many top notch Subject Matter Experts. So when I buy a gun, especially pistols that I might depend on. I do the ultimate test. I load up a couple of magazines with every different round I can muster up. Then I take it to the range and start pulling the trigger. If it fails in any way, it's gone. Sold to some other sucker the next day. I'm just that picky. Sounds like you have a lot of "won't settle" in you. Congratulations!! I even use a lathe for case prep now.
Here is a story you can appreciate Skipper-

Some years back I bought a remmgton ADL. IT was a basic hunting production rifle in .243
I worked up a load and took it hunting. I had a coyote out about 165 yards and just as I fired, he took a step forward and I shot him too far back. He was flopping about and I worked the bolt to put a finisher in him and...IT JAMMED. That has never happened to me before or since. I worked the round out, and before I could fire he died.

That gun was sold the following day to the next lucky winner, I have never owned a Remington anything since. And I never will.

John Maynard Keynes