Decapping.and.FL sizing. 242cases

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Decapping.and.FL sizing. 242cases

Post by Tom Kat »

I need some brass to trim when my FA case trimmer gets here Friday. Not exciting but necessary!
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Re: Decapping.and.FL sizing. 242cases

Post by Tom Kat »

It's been a while since I loaded any .243 They have discontinued the 4007 my gun likes so I am starting all over
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20240207_182141.jpg
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

v
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

If those are used in a bolt action rifle then I would consider not full length sizing them. Once fire formed to a specific rifle they take the shape of your chamber and only need to be full length sized whenever the bolt becomes hard to close, to bump the shoulders back. If you have a neck sizing die, that will only size the neck back to spec leaving the rest of the case Custom Fitted to THAT rifle.

Don't use them in any other rifle without full length sizing them. Neck sizing works the brass less.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I always thought the same thing. Then I watched this video. https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g?si=Pp-KEskFX-_ZN9sJ

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Fron what I have read and put out by some of the best shooters, is that they full size all their ammo, but adjust the sizing die so it just touches the shoulder without set back for a given rifle/chamber. And only set the should back when it becomes necessary to do so, when the case begins to show size of needing it, with tighter bolt closure.
That is basically what and how I do my reloads and it seems to work the best for me anyway. :D
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:24 am Fron what I have read and put out by some of the best shooters, is that they full size all their ammo, but adjust the sizing die so it just touches the shoulder without set back for a given rifle/chamber. And only set the should back when it becomes necessary to do so, when the case begins to show size of needing it, with tighter bolt closure.
That is basically what and how I do my reloads and it seems to work the best for me anyway. :D
I think thats basicly what the guy in the video was saying. Not a bad way to go-

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I don't watch much of anything on u-tube, just don't have the time. But I'm here to tell you that if you attend a BR match where the shooters are all very knowledgeable, you'll see them all neck sizing only for their match rounds. Very seldom if ever will you see those guys F/L sizing their precious BR brass.

It's a fact that F/L sizing is not only not necessary, but it needlessly works the brass. Once the brass is formed to your particular chamber (as skipper noted), it's basically custom fit to your rifle. At that point, you're only interested in retaining that shoulder datum and having adequate neck tension for consistency. Of course, if one is just a casual handloader, none of this matters. Most, ir not all my varmint ammunition has never seen the inside of a F/L die....just not necessary.

I've got a Redding 204R bushing F/L die in the box that has never been used, and it's been in my stack of die boxes on my bench now for about ten years. Just because some bird puts something up on u-tube does not make it fact.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Okay
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Maynard Keynes
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Prep your brass the way you want, full length or neck sizing, which ever method gives you the results your happy with.
Every reloader has their own way and they will swear by it. Stick with what you like, the rabbit hole has no bottom.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Truth

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Varmint Shooter wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:28 pmPrep your brass the way you want, full length or neck sizing, which ever method gives you the results your happy with.
TK, this in response to the comment "prep your brass the way you want" from VS above. The advice I gave you is from 50 years of handloading experience.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it. (Agatha Christie)

No one is under any obligation to take what would be considered to be good advice, but it's usually a good idea to at least consider it. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I am not doubting your experience or wisdom. I appreciate your input.

So one time, about 2012, I had an easy shot on big coyote. I had the red dot reticle on him...and CLICK! the rotary bolt in my new AR didnt close all the way due to neck sizing my brass.

Yeah, now I know. And I know a bolt action and a rotary bolt are different animals.

I know, I know.

But I never quite got over it. Or forgot it.

John Maynard Keynes