RCBS Plastic Loading Funnel

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Singleshot

RCBS Plastic Loading Funnel

Post by Singleshot »

I recently purchased a RCBS small calibre plastic funnel to replace the old cheap plastic kitchen funnel that I have been using for years. The tube on the latter was turned to easily fit inside the mouth of a K-Hornet case but in the 204 it was a bit snug and if I was not paying close attention sometimes it would tilt and some of the powder charge would spill all over my loading block. So I switched to the pricier commercial model. However, after a couple of rounds of reloading, the RCBS funnel seemed to pick up a static charge and the powder would hang up on the sides just above the tube. I wiped it out several times but could not correct the problem. I was using W748 initially and then Reloader 10X with the same results. I switched back to my old funnel and problem solved. Anyone else ever run into this?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: RCBS Plastic Loading Funnel

Post by acloco »

(read this as a JOKE)... it is your electric personality! :)

Actually, wipe the funnel with a dryer sheet....besides removing the static electricity, the funnel will smell good too!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Run a 15/64 drill bit through the RCBS funnel and it will sit on top of your 204 case neck just right.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Better yet, spend $11.20 at Sinclair and buy a Satern Aluminum Powder Funnel. They're caliber specific and top quality......
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Saturn is the real deal.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Another vote for the Satern powder funnel.....works excellent, high quality materials and workmanship, never had a static problem with them. (And Vartarg is spot-on with the dryer sheet suggestion.)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Invest in the Saturn funnel. They are caliber specific, they have a heavy bottom on the that helps them sit and stay on the casing neck and they have a generous top opening that is easy to pour powder into--Saturn all the way!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

i bought the rcbs funnel also and had the static problem too. i used the dryer sheet and cured the problem. but the funnel as was made is hard not to spill powder. i did an adaptation that worked very well. learned this this from my shooting buddy, so i cannot take any credit.
drill the funnel hole out to 15/32. then the hard part, take an expended 17HMR shell, drill a hole through the base. when that is accomplished, push the HMR shell from the inside of the funnel, with the 17 end of the shell going thru the hole first, push in as far as it will go. i used a drift punch to bottom out the HMR. the opening of the HMR shell fits fits very neatly into a 204 case mouth. :lol: my buddy soldered a 17HMR onto a metal funnel to load his 223.
although, if i had known about the saturn funnel, and where to get one, i probably would have gone that way. :eek:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Thanks to all. Never occurred to me to raid the laundry room for an anti-static sheet. The wife is away right now too! :evil: If some of you have tried them there is likely nothing on them that would contaminate gun powder. As usual an abundance of good suggestions for a solution. I will look for a Sinclair funnel now that I know what works best. You would think that RCBS would sell a product that was anti-static to begin with. The folks who designed my 99 cent kitchen funnel certainly did.
rogern

Post by rogern »

I use an old Lee funnel (the red one)
I cut a .17 case in half with plumbers pipe cutters and it superglued perfectly into the hole in the funnel, as others have said the 17 neck sits great in the 204 neck.
bushymonster
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 204 Fluted 24" Match Grade Beauty

Post by bushymonster »

Hey guys. I am new here. I use to turn one out of wood and it worked just fine. You can make it to whatever you want it to be. I haven't turned in a while because of health reasons but I have made some. I just received a fluted 24" heavy barrel 204 Ruger from Match Grade and I sot one cleaned for 10rds and then 3rds and clean and the three shots I was shooting could be covered with a nickel. I know I need to tighten them up but I have to finish breaking it in. :chin:
Randy
bushymonster

Post by bushymonster »

you can also get some shrink tube like you put on screwdrivers and such and get the smallest funnel you have and slip the tube iver it and shrink it to fit and the bottom you can go as far as you need. If you have any problem with it coming off the funnel just a drop of super glue and there you go. I am going to buy a Sinclair myself.
Bushy
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Just another note on the dryer sheet deal. I had some fits with my electronic scale at the get go, and among things I learned is that wiping the whole unit down with a new dryer sheet makes it work a lot better. Less drift ect. My MX123 has a metal table that you set the pan on and I wipe it frequently along with the powder pan that I throw charges into to be weighed. There is a lot of static electricity in the air in the winter time here in Idaho due to the dry conditions and I believe that you charge yourself walking across the carpet in the house and transfer the charge to the tools being used. (I just THINK that. I am not an electrical engineer.) I store all my powder related equipment; measure, pans, powder bottles, and my scale in sealed containers with dryer sheets enclosed. I hate the smell of those things but they sure do work.
bushymonster

Post by bushymonster »

dryer sheets are great. I usually put on in a wash rag and that way your funnel and machine is good and if you have carpet drop the sheet on the floor and move it around to cut static out of your area. :D
bushymonster

Post by bushymonster »

WHISTLEPIG That is a really good deal. Static electricity can kill a computer in a heartbeat and scales are based on the same electronics. If you will get a wash towel and put a sheet or two dryer sheets on it and fold it in half and put your scales on it, or a paper towel and leave it and just move it around a couple of times your good to go. If you have carpet you can also buy the spray and spray your carpet a couple times a week, just where your feet will be it helps out. Static is our enemy and it's always worst in the winter. II know one guy that actually wears a bracelet that you wear around your wrist to keep it static away but he builds computer on the same table. I wouldn't but he does. Have a Merry Christmas guys.
Bushy :D