Digital Scale Problem

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tic-Tac
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 low profile

Digital Scale Problem

Post by Tic-Tac »

Any suggestions as to why my Dillon digital D-Terminator readings tend to jump around? After years of loading with an OHAUS beam scale I bought the Dillon in hopes of speeding up my loading as I weigh each charge after dropping it from an RCBS powder measure. For example, if I am trying to get 41.0 grains, it might read 40.8 on the initial pan drop, but then on the scale and with gradual trickle I get an alternating reading of between 40.9 and 41.1 even 41.2 with the reading jumping back and forth; it takes an inordinate amount of time to settle down which defeats the benefits of the digital scale over the beam. It seems to have a mind of its own and won't settle on 41.0. I can see the grains as they trickle and some jumps in weight don't justify the amount added. I have no wind effect, and often use the wind protector with mild results. While the problem is greater with the courser powders, it tends to do this with any powder. BTW..this load is for my .308, but I have the same problem loading for the .204.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Digital Scale Problem

Post by WrzWaldo »

Is there any air movement in the area? How about fluorescent lighting? I'm not all that familiar with the Dillon scale, but most like to be on for a while to stabilize.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Tic-Tac--You may want to purchase some type of device that will regulate the voltage going to your scale. I purchased a UPS that has a built-in votage regulator and use that with both my RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 and my MXX-123 digital scale. I also have the UPS plugged into a totally separate circuit--no other electrical devices are on this circuit.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Don't forget, you may need to let that scale warm up for a while before you use it.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tic-Tac

Post by Tic-Tac »

I don't believe this site allows you to attach a picture, such as my loading station, but there is a single bulb 4' fluorescent fixture at 7' above my chair, and a small flourescent fixture under the shelf above the table. I am conscious of air movement, so really have to rule that out. The scale is run on battery power, so a ups should not be a factor? I use a slightly larger scale that measures in onces for measuring ingredients when making hand soap (don't ask) and it gives an immediate reading. Perhaps I am just too impatient, but the bouncing back and forth of readings and the time it takes to settle down just doesn't seem normal. I can only assume the scale has warmed up as it does it throughout the loading session.
I do appreciate the input.
Tic-Tac
As an aside and for what it's worth, I really like the results I am getting at 100 yds. in my Savage .204 Model 12 low profile with 25.0g IMR3031/35g Berger Match HPBT/.130" off the lands (OAL 2,269")/Rem. 7 1/2 primer/Win. case...after many many different loads and bullets leading up to it.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Tic-Tac

This site does allow pictures. As a matter of fact, we thrive on them. We would love to see some pictures of your bench, rifle, groups, hunting expeditions, etc. Open an account at Photobucket.com to upload your photos. Then copy the image code and paste it into your message. It has to start and end with the image tag Image
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Tic-Tac, Batteries are death to my MX123. I used to store the batteries to my rechargable drill that I use for case prep in my reloading cabinet along with several trays of Duracell batteries. I proved to myself that they were the major cause of wandering of my scale. I have a flourescent fixture above my bench that I do not feel interferes with function. Air movement created by my movement is a problem. I try to avoid rapid movements over the scale when placing and removing the pan. I also turn on my scale 24 hours before use if I have turned it off at all. Despite the quirks I feel a good electronic scale is faster and much more accurate than a beam scale. A couple of tenths means little in a .308, it is huge in a .204. Good luck with yours.
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

i wonder if my cell phone could be what was causing my problems last time i tried my rcbs chargemaster i turned off the fluorescent and still could not get it to settle down
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
Tic-Tac

Post by Tic-Tac »

I will try the ac adaptor instead of batteries and left the scale on until I use it tomorrow. Wind is not a factor to my knowledge, but it is hard in this Phoenix heat not to have some cooling in the room....the movement is slight and directed away from the station.

I went to Photobucket, read the tutorial, uploaded the image, clicked on img, and tried every combination to post a picture of my station without luck. I am very illiterate when it comes to computer navigation.

Notwithstanding my ineptness, it is a pleasure to participate in a forum that provides straight forward answers and information, and I thank you for that.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Tic-Tac

In Photobucket, copy the IMG link below the picture you want to post. You can just click on the link in Photobucket and a little yellow window will appear that says "copied". You can always hit CNTL and C together to copy if you prefer.

Then copy the link into your post by hitting CNTL and V together to paste the link.

Tic-Tac

Post by Tic-Tac »

Thanks for sticking with me on this Skipper. When following your instructions and as with the past, after I hit CNTL V all I see are the letters from my Photobucket image, not the image. Maybe it will appear after I submit. Here goes.

Tic-Tac

Post by Tic-Tac »

Well what do you know....I am not as thought as I dumb I was. Thanks again Skipper. I will keep ya'll posted on my scale issues after trying all suggestions, and periodically post more pictures I think you will enjoy.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Before you hit submit, hit preview and you will see what it's going to look like before you hit submit. I think you're getting the hang of it. Try the smilies. Just place your cursor somewhere in the post and click on one of them. :spin: Just like the photos, you will only see the code until you hit preview or submit.

You can write your post in Microsoft Word and then copy and paste it here for spell checking purposes. Highlite a couple of words and click on the colors or the bold, italic or underline feature and see how that works.

Oh, by the way. Welcome to the 204um.
Tic-Tac

Post by Tic-Tac »

I loaded 100 rounds of .204 and another 100 rounds of 30-06 today and the scale problem was minimal. I let the scale warm up for a considerable amount of time prior to loading, and used the ac wall adapter for power. Today, two things became apparent, perhaps because I have been paying more attention to this part of the loading. The problem (readings bouncing back and forth) was greater with the lighter .204 loads than the heavier 30-06. I also found that with the .204 loads, when there was a prolonged bouncing back and forth of readings, if I picked up the pan and then put it back on the scale the reading stabilized quickly; and stayed more stabilized as I trickled in additional grains. I am going to leave the podium on this issue as I feel the input ya’ll provided has resulted in a marked improvement.
Thanks again,
Tic-Tac
PS: I have just received my equipment and supplies to try casting for the first time. I have a question regarding which alloy to use, but don't know if it is appropriate to post my question to this site since it relates to use in the 30-06 and not the .204? :doh:
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Take your scale off of your reloading bench. Seperate it from your powder drop and press bench.

The table top flexes some from any movement on the same surface.

My reloading benchtop consists of 3/4" plywood and 3/16" top cover with medium weight legs...all in an 8 foot length, 3 foot depth, and 44" off the floor. The back of the bench has 8-10K bullets, 20-30 sets of dies, & 20 pounds of powder in a cabinet setting on the top of the bench. The bottom has a small air compressor, two two drawer cabinets, and "stuff" (that I have not seen in a year or so) on the bottom shelf. The bench is heavy...and it STILL flexes a touch and messes with a digital scale.