Powder question

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Powder question

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

Was reloading 270 today using IMR4350. Opened a 1# can that's been on my shelf for a number of years and when I poured the powder into the powder measure there was a considerable amount of very fine brown dust. It actually left a bit of residue in the plastic tube of the measure when I poured the remainder back into the can. I've never had this happen before with any powder including some that are as old. Any ideas what's going on? Is this something I should be concerned over? Thanks for sharing your knowledge...
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Powder question

Post by acloco »

YES...this IS a concern.

Without being there in person, this is one of the BAD signs of powder that has gone bad.

Would recommend using this as fertilizer for your lawn.

If you loaded rounds, you should pull them.

This powder is more than likely unstable.
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

I have to agree with acloco. Do not use this powder under any circumstances!

I had a friend many years ago who learned the hard way on powder with rust in it. This was back in the days of the good old surplus H4831. Depending on how and where it was stored, it could get really hot. In fact, if I remember correctly, Hodgdon came out with some warnings way back when about powder with a red tint or red dust. Bottom line, don't use it.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Sagebrush Burns

Thanks all for the information. I pulled the bullets poured the powder back in the can and resized the brass. The important question now is: Do I have a pound of trash, fertilizer, or pyrotechnic display?
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

I would do the pyrotechnic dissplay! :lol: But I was a volunteer firefighter in Walden, CO. :D
204 try it you'll like it!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I have flushed very small ammounts down the toilet but not anywhere near one pound. Shouldn't be an environmental problem if you spread it way out.
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Lawn fertilizer! This reminds me of our local police chief/water super/streets/building inspector (this is a small town) who was going to dispose of a can of black powder. Not good. Yep, he poured some on a board, tried to light it with a match, no go, so the obvious thing to do....lean closer and try another match. I learned of this in the barber shop when he was trying to get his haircut to match what was missing. Also lost an eyebrow, and few and sundry burns. I had a lot of fun at his expense that day.
(Don's Barber Shop, Alpha, Il 309-629-3350).
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

I had ~4 lbs of old H4831 that I needed to get rid of. I opted for the pyrotechnic display. I poured all 4 lbs in a big pile and then made a little trail about 5 feet long going away from the pile. (Must be all those old Westerns I used to watch on TV when I was a kid :D ). Anyway, I was very fortunate that I stood as far back as I could and tossed a match on the trail of powder. Needless to say, the powder ignited and made it to the big pile much faster than I anticipated. There was a big "whoosh" sound as all the available air sucked out of the immediate vicinity and a fire ball shot about 30 feet into the air. Holy Crap!

So, be very, very careful with pyrotechnic displays. They can bite you in the butt before you know what happened.
I would vote for rose fertilizer; that what I do with old powder these days after my little experience of above.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Sagebrush Burns

I called IMR and talked with a tech rep. He said the dust indicated deteriorated powder and not to use it. I burned it up in the (snow covered) back yard. Made a trail of powder leading to a pile of the rest (just like in the movies) and lit it. When the pile burned it made a nice two foot flame for about 10 seconds.
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Nothing wrong with using it as fertilizer in fact your plants will love you for it. :D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society