Range Brass

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
hozz57

Range Brass

Post by hozz57 »

I picked up some nickel plated .30 '06 brass at the range (Fuzzy told me not to do it).
Very nice looking stuff, so I decided to full length size, trim, and reload. Now I am getting ready to order a new cutter for my wilson trimmer. :mad: I wish I had known that this would happen.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Range Brass

Post by acloco »

I do not reload nickle plated brass that I pick up at the range. The plating will cover up any problems in the brass.

Be wary....VERY wary.
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

This is the 2nd time I've had problems with range brass. The 1st time it was on some 220 Swift brass that scored the inside of my full length sizer. I think it would be cheaper to just buy new brass.

No more range brass for me!
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hozz: Yep, nickle plated brass does wonders for the interior of a perfectly finished F/L sizing die, believe me. Like you, I learned the hard way a long time ago. Even if perfectly clean prior to sizing, it's brutal on dies........ :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

From the pistol side of things, I wouldn't pick up any .38 Super range brass, either. Usually, it's had bad things happen to it, "Major" caliber loads can sure work brass awfully hard.
I used to plink with a Super, and picked up some range brass left by a guy I know. It let go with a very mild load, too. Luckily, the gun had Pachmayr grips on it, so all I got was "stung" a bit (Hurray for shooting glasses!) The steel liner in the Pachmayrs kept it from cutting up my paws, but the magazine was toast. From then on, I only used "good" brass that I KNEW wasn't overloaded at any time, even with my little plinking loads.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!