Stupid move, need help.

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
doninva
.204 Ruger Guns: nef varmint ultra 204

Stupid move, need help.

Post by doninva »

I just started reloading again after several years. I have been very frugle buying reloading equipment. I have bought mostly used items and most have worked well. I bought a set of 270 dies and when I received, the resizing die turned out to be a neck sizing die. I sized a case and tried it in my new Marlin XL7 and it chambered OK. I loaded up 30 rounds with two loads to try. I decided to check them before going to the range. I usually don't think this much and just drive several miles for nothing if things don't work out :D . Well the loads are way to tight :wall: . The bolt is to tight. I ordered a new set of full length dies and a RCBS bullet puller last night. After pulling the bullets and getting the powder out, what is the next step. Can I resize the case with the primers in them. If not, how can I get the primers out . Thanks, Don
Baja_Traveler
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTCSS

Re: Stupid move, need help.

Post by Baja_Traveler »

There really is no need to punch out live primers, I'm sure it is a "Not Recommended Practice". You can just spin out the de-priming pin from the sizing die and resize the case normally.
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .204
iKonic Status
.204 Ruger Guns: none...yet

Post by iKonic Status »

doninva

+1 for the advice given by Baja_Traveler. Simply remove the de-priming rod/pin from within the full length die and you'll be good to go!

Regards

Kon :banana:
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem

Howa/Hogue 1500 Varmint HB .308win
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I loaded up 30 rounds with two loads to try.
Not a large problem, I had 300 rounds of .204 Ruger loaded up that had been neck sized for my factory barrel and I found they would not chamber in my new barrel unless I used excessive force on the bolt. Worried I would gall the lugs I purchased a cheap RCBS kinetic bullet puller and pulled all 300 rounds. I then FL resized them all (after removing the decapping rod/pin) and began load development for the new barrel.

You will be fine, just remove the decapping pin/rod and be sure to use lots of lube, wipe the lube off with a rag (rather than tumble them, if like me, that is how you remove lube).

Be glad you only have 30 rounds to do, my 300 nearly wore out my bullet puller :oops:
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Doninva, +1 on pulling the bullets and removing the de-capping pin....You might want to re-try your die with it turned down another 1/4 turn to see if this will set your shoulders back to the proper length... The die may be good, just out of adjustment for your chamber...

When I'm either neck sizing, or re-sizing previously loaded ammo, I'll use 'Extra Fine" powdered graphite to reduce the probability of contaminating the cases, since I'm not going to re-tumble them...dipping a little around the case neck and a little on my finger and thumb, rubbed on the case helps a bunch..Not perfect, but it helps..

After breaking my kinetic bullet puller that I had for my handgun bullets, I went ahead and bought a Hornady die type bullet puller with collets for both my .204s and .223s...Much faster and easier on my wrist...
AR
Factory/Factory
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

You can just push out the primers with the decapping pin. The comparative slowness of the pressure build up on the primer compound, of the ram as compared to the firing pin, means that the compound just crumbles and doesn't ignite.

However as hard as primers are to get, you might want to keep them in the case.

Once you fire the brass through your rifle, you might want to go back to the neck sizer die instead of full length resizing the cases. It cuts down on the work hardening of the cases, and reduces the probability of failure on the shoulder.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Follow the advice of these guys. Just pluck out the decapping pin and size away. Just be careful not to get any case lube inside. At one time brass came primed, like some Remington still does, so it was standard procedure to remove the decapping pin.