Reloading for handguns

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Reloading for handguns

Post by bullfrog »

I have been saving brass and stocking up bullets for reloading my revolvers and auto pistols. However, I have never reloaded a handgun cartridge before. Anyone have any advice/tips and/or load recommendations? :idea:
I will be reloading 38 special, 357 mag. and 45 acp.
Thanks!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Reloading for handguns

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jeremy: First off, figure on getting carbide pistol dies to save headaches and time; you'll be glad you did....no lube to dink around with. If funds are available, a Dillon press is the hot setup....I'm plotting one for myself at present. ;)

For the .45, I've had good luck over the years with WW231 with all bullet weights. For many loads in the mid-range catagory, Unique is a universal powder for all pistol and revolver calibers, especially with cast bullets if you shoot alot.

Shoot me a PM for any specifics, and I'll see if I can help get you started. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

+1 what Rick suggested.You might want to add a taper crimp die for the 45ACP.Compare price/features with the Hornady LnL progressive.I've been loading on one over 10 years.Great for handgun loads.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Anyone have any advice/tips and/or load recommendations?
My only advice is that if you are carrying concealed do not carry hand loaded ammo. Factory ammo only. :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

+ One for that. Thanks for mentioning it, Glen....that's a huge thing to consider.

Ideally, find out what your local PD or Sheriffs Deputys carry, and use that or something close to it for your carry piece. It will be one less thing to fret about later in court if you actually ever have to use your pistol.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I load a lot of 38's. Powder of choice is titegroup. I do shoot 125gr. and 158gr. bullets. I hate the cleanup with lead pills, so all bullets I shoot are Copper jacket or copper plated. The copper plated are the best way to go for me. They are cheap, and shoot real accurate in both my 38's. I buy either Berry's or Raineer in bulk. 1000 or 2000 at a time. Also load 357, but not often. I use 2400, but this is a real dirty powder, and these loads are about the same as a factory load, as far as power and recoil.
I do agree with RIO and get carbide dies. I also highly recommend the taper crimp die as mentioned. Don't know about the auto loaders, but I know this die has really improved my loads for my wheel guns! :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Thanks for the info guys. I absolutely only carry factory loads for protection in urban environments. I've heard that a lot. I did read an article a while back in one of the handloading magazines where the author was claiming it won't matter if you shoot someone with a reload as long as it was justified, but I don't see why I would take that risk. Can't remember what magazine it was, but I will look for it. Seems like he made a good case, but again why throw one more possible variable in.
I just want large stockpiles of ammo to practice with and to have on hand for when the world ends. :wink: And according to a guy I saw on the street corner today that will be in 9 days. :lol:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

For your .45acp info, there is no greater resource than http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php. There is more information over there than you ever thought you could know. Also, obviously those guys shoot just about every handgun cartridge available (I only shoot a 1911), so they will have tons of advise on loads for your other calibers too.

I personally use Bullseye powder and cast 200gr lswc bullets in my 1911 for target shooting and I couldn't be happier. Very accurate for me.