Leupold vs Nightforce

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Leupold vs Nightforce

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hi fellows. I'm wanting a new scope & would like your thoughts on the subject. Looking at the Nightforce NXS velocity 1000 recticle & Leupold VX 6 VHR. I want 24X max power. Leaving the cost aside, which one in your opinion is the better scope for clarity mostly & function? My aging eyes need all the help they can get. JD
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Re: Leupold vs Nightforce

Post by toasty »

I would buy the Nightforce hand down. Better glass, better turrets, zero stop...

I've got several leupold VX3 and a VX6, several sightron SIII and a Nightforce. Best scope is the Nightforce in all aspects, the sightron is the best scope for the money, the leupolds are comparable to the sightron glass, but the sightron turrets are better, parralax adjustment is worse than leupold, but the leupold is 2x the cost. I do love leupold's customer service, but haven't needed anything from Nightforce. Sightron customer service has been decent as well for a minor adjustment on the parralax dial. All just my opinion.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

There is no doubt in my military mind that Night Force builds a fine scope.

Having said that, there is more to the scope procurement equation than just the optic. Such items as warranty and service availability need to be considered as well. Also was far as price is concerned, I think is a good rule of thumb in today's world you want to spend as much for your optic as you do for your rifle. One might say that that is too conservative and that spending one half times the value of your rifle for the optic gives you a lot more options in the scope world. Reticles, knobs, optional tube diameter, and/or objective size and radically improve the shooting experience where these can be applied properly.

The Leupold product line which is very complete is manufactured and serviced near Portland Oregon. This is a very big plus in my view. In fact, before I purchased pro-quality optics I used a Leupold exclusively. Personally, I am very impressed with the comprehensive product line that includes medium quality scopes up to the high quality professional optics.

There are a few companies that build premium quality optics on a semi-custom basis and most of my scopes are those. Leupold has extended their product line over what it was even five years ago to offer many options to the specialized shooter.

Image ImageImage
surefire
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 in 204 Ruger, CZ527

Post by surefire »

I too have old eyes. I learned the value of great glass while stationed in Germany 30 years ago where I bought Schmidt & Benders and Kahles for my rifles. Those scope had great "eye box." (Google it). They also had large exit pupils for the late evening and very early morning shooting you can do over there. So in making any comparison you need to ask yourself first, what am I going to use the scope for. Is it to shoot targets or varmints like prairie dogs in broad daylight where exit pupil is not important or is it to hunt at dawn or dusk where the ability to see farther longer can make the difference between success and failure. That said, I own 3 Nightforce scopes, several Leupolds and a couple of Vortex. IMO the NF are the best, better than most Leupolds and Vortex. The only Leupold I've found to rival a NF is a VX7L in 4.5-18x56 with a 34 mm tube. Leupold discontinued this scope but may have brought it back for special orders only. It's a great scope that rivals a NF. But if all you need is good glass for daylight long-range shooting, look at the Vortex. They are a good value and come very close to NF in their high-end models.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

I like Surefire's take on this, I differ somewhat, but he makes a good arguement.
The trick is to look VERY carefully at the specs. Bigger tubes don't make a better scope. The maddening thing to me is lack of adjustment in a scope.
Personally, I'm not a nightforce fan. They make a good product but not for me.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Thanks guys, I surely appreciate your opinions. Since my original post I've purchased a couple Sightron SIII's. The last one a 6x24x50 30mm with the LRMOA-H reticle, like a varmint hunter but more detail. It has W/E 100 MOA. Very clear nice scope. Thanks & have a good day. Jim D