Mueller Optics Eradicator

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
haskins02

Mueller Optics Eradicator

Post by haskins02 »

As I am on a budget, I am trying to get the most optical bang for my buck. I read great things about the Mueller Optics Eradicator 8.5-25x50mm scope (retails for about $260). Any better long range scope choices in that power range for less than $300?

Thanks.
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

If you can go another 50 bucks I have a nikon monarch 6.5-20x44
for sale in the swap section for 350.00 only 2 months old.
pm me.
haskins02

Post by haskins02 »

Varmonter wrote:If you can go another 50 bucks I have a nikon monarch 6.5-20x44
for sale in the swap section for 350.00 only 2 months old.
pm me.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick with the Eradicator.
janneuf

No comparison between a Nikon Monarch and a Mueller

Post by janneuf »

I'd jump on the Monarch, it will cost you far more to buy your scope twice. There's a reason you can buy a higher power Mueller for less.
janneuf
Tone

Post by Tone »

Yeah the reason is imho that they are a good deal
janneuf

everything is relative

Post by janneuf »

The reason the scopes are cheaper is not some benevolent gesture on the part of Mueller, I can assure you that.

The Nikon retails for nearly $200 more than the Mueller and there really is no comparison. We all have our opinions. That being said, I think you can get by with a cheap scope on light-kicking calibers like the .204.

Google it, read the negative reviews of Mueller scopes and then TRY to find one for a Nikon Monarch.
janneuf
haskins02

Post by haskins02 »

Sorry for the long response time (is anyone still reading this post?)

If so, I am aware of the "you get what you pay for" philosophy, but everything I have read so far on the Internet says good things about Mueller scopes and that they are comparable in quality to brands such as Leupold. Now, I am just the messenger, since I have absolutely no personal experience with these scopes. I understand the reason these scopes are less money is because: 1) Mueller Optics does not advertise, and 2) Mueller made some special procurement deals by getting quality components from all over the world at great prices. Again, this is just my understanding, but here is a detailed review:

http://www.muelleroptics.com/downloads/ ... 20problems'
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Or...try this brand....

http://www.nikkostirling.com

...distributed in the US by...

http://www.legacysports.com

I am very satisfied with the 6-24x56 with the 30 mm tube. Also purchased a set of scope mounts from them as well.
janneuf

Mueller Scopes

Post by janneuf »

It seems Mueller does its advertising via forums like this one. Simple question, if you made cheaps scopes how would YOU explain the low price? Advertising costs amount to a few dollars per scope, not a few hundred.

I am very skeptical about a scope review when said review is posted on the website of the manufacturer.

Here's a thread you should read before buying a Mueller.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=391277

remember "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"
janneuf
Hutch45

Post by Hutch45 »

haskins02 wrote:but everything I have read so far on the Internet says good things about Mueller scopes and that they are comparable in quality to brands such as Leupold.
Not a chance. I've shot a Mueller side by side with a Burris Signature Select on a bright sunny day and there is no comparison. Day and Night difference. Mueller's are not junk, but they in no way compare equitably to the higher quality scopes.

I could see .17 cal holes in paper at 100 yards with the Burris, but couldn't see .17 or .204 holes with the Mueller at the same distance same magnification. Their advertising is catchy and snags a few, but they are in no way a top quality scope.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Hutch - same here with my Nikko Stirling - on 12 power, seeing the 17, 204, 223, & 243 at 100 yards is no problem.
Savage12VLP

Mueller

Post by Savage12VLP »

I too am looking for a new scope for my Savage 12 VLP. I called Mueller and spoke with Rich. Rich offered to sell me s scope fresh all the line or $229.95 including a sun shade. Shipping is $10.00.

We talked at great length about the quiality of this scope. They use FULLY multi-coated lenses which gather more light then the multi-coated lenses. They use Japanese and German technology and they are assembled in China (what isn't these days!). I have poor night vision, so this is very important to me. The exit eye relief is something else to consider. The higher the number the better.

You can email Rich at muelleroptics@gtlakes.com

This scope is a mid-level scope and seems to be at a price point that is very attractive.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Midway has a group of Nikon scopes on sale that you might want to look at also. I know nothing of Mueller scopes so cannot comment.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

I’m at the tail end of the scope run around, and about the end of my rope. I’m on my 3ed scope for the 204 in about 2 months. Finally I went to Cabala’s and bass pro shop and did a lot of comparison. I didn’t look at a Mueller, but looked at a lot of others and I have to say that if you can’t pay more than $200 then there really isn’t much difference in the cheap scopes (except the Tasco which wouldn’t keep point of aim) , but once you jump up to ~$300 mark you really can tell the difference without question. There is a place in town that is suppose to carry the nikkostirling that acloco has plugged a couple of times so I want to go look at them but right now the best scope for the money is the Nikon Buckmaster you can get it at http://www.theopticzone.com/ for $289 which is $60 less than at cabela’s or bass pro shop or midway. So Alcoc if the nikkostirling is all you say then I’ll get one of them but otherwise it’s the Nikon.

Luckily everywhere that I’ve bought the scopes at will take them back so I’m only out the original shipping cost and the $$ for the ammo to sight all of those cheap scopes in. I figure I’ve spent ~$60-75 farting around. So if you can look at one of the Mueller scopes side by side with a good scope I recommend trying to scrap up a few more dollars and get something you only have to sight in once.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bad Dad: I know this thread started about budget scopes, but I've just gotta chime in......

Reading all this about you guys trying to find decent glass for less or about three bills reminds me of my own trials and tribulations back in the 'old days' when I was in the same fix. If I had added up all the money I spent on "inexpensive" scopes for my pet M70 .270 Win, I could have bought my first Leupold cash money.

In the end, you'll end up like me, and just pay the piper up front, and get a good glass the first time around. Your eyes will thank you, so will your wife/girlfriend, as you'll avoid all the frustration going back and forth trying different cheap glass and all the hassles associated with all the farting about.

I know Leupold/Burris/Nikon and the good Weavers are a tad spendy, but trust me on this: you only go around once, and waiting a few months more to buy better glass is MUCH better than running out and buying a cheapie right away. You all know I'm partial to the Loopies, and for good reason; clear as a bell, warranty, ruggedness, reticle/finish options, asthetics, did I mention warranty? You can start out with a regular Loopy, the send it in to the factory later to change reticles, add a varmint elevation turret, and every time they totally inspect it, recharge it with either nitrogen or krypton/argon, and send it back in short order. These are scopes that will last longer than a lifetime. I have some I got back in the '60's, and they are still as clear and bright as they were when brand new. You just can't compare the cheapies with service and quality products like this. They are a lifetime investment.

With good glass, you'll shoot better, your eyes will thank you, your rifle will look better, you'll have some resale value if you want to change, and you'll be a much happier rifleman all around. Sometimes saving just a bit longer is very well worth the extra wait for the new toy, believe me. :D Remember the old adage: You get what you pay for....... Pay now, or pay more later...... :hmph:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails