good deal on ebay?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
craigyboy

good deal on ebay?

Post by craigyboy »

just been looking around ebay UK for a new scope to try and help my scope height problems I have found a leupold 6.5-20X40mm long range scope which I can run with low mounts, the offer is free shipping and bases and rings which at £370 is a crazy low price for this scope in these parts,this guy has been on ebay a while and feedback leads me to believe he is genuine, what do you guys think and have you had any dealings with him. I have heard of fake leupolds going about which has got me a bit skeptical on a good deal, but to be honest it seems ok.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leupold-VX-III-6- ... dZViewItem
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Can't you buy some of the fine European made optics there for a lot less than they cost here? It would seem like that would buy you more scope for the same buck.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Watch out on those ebay leupold's. There are some counterfeits going around.

Linky Thing

Leupold Scope Info
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

craigyboy--That IS NOT a leupold 6.5-20X40mm long range scope!! I would be VERY careful with that particular seller!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

DEFINITELY NOT!!! it looks like a 1-4x big game scope.
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
ennacac

Post by ennacac »

I just went to Leupold's site and that is the photo they have posted on their site.

http://www.leupold.com/products/Info_VX-III.htm

Tom
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

craigyboy: The above scope posted by your dealer there IS the scope described. The one posted by ennecac from Leupold's site is NOT a 6.5-20X 40mm with 30mm tube, looks to have the optional 56mm objective and illuminated reticle in another power range, but is NOT the 6.5-20X-40mm. I have two of these exact scopes advertised, so recognize it instantly. It is pictured below from this weekend's shoot here. Other than having a M1 elevation adjustment, and the 2.5" sunshade installed, it's identical.

In any light, be careful. The counterfiet scopes on ebay are usually copies of Leupold MK-4 scopes, not the one pictured. One thing that does seem fishy, is that the scope is in PA in the USA, but the dealer is in the UK?. If he's in the US, I'd bet he's just trying to make some extra bucks by selling on ebay UK. But I'd also wonder why he's not selling it here. :shock:

I'd ask: is this a reputable dealer in the UK? Can you call and talk to a real person? Get the S/N off the subject scope from them, email Leupold to check its authcenticity and then decide if it's a good deal or not considering the exchange rate right now.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

ennacac wrote:I just went to Leupold's site and that is the photo they have posted on their site.

http://www.leupold.com/products/Info_VX-III.htm

Tom
They have changed the picture since I last looked at it. The original picture in the ebay link looked like an FX-II.
craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

all the scopes that he advertises more or less have that picture of the little compact scope but he does give the part number and it matches the one on the leupold website.
WT

Post by WT »

craigyboy wrote:all the scopes that he advertises more or less have that picture of the little compact scope but he does give the part number and it matches the one on the leupold website.
I think Rick is right, get the serial number (not the part number, anybody can get that) and check the serial number with Leupold for authenticity. Might be a perfectly legit operation, but if they won't provide the serial number, I'd walk away.

Just my 2 cents (or should that be 2 pence? :D )
Wayne,

"Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands"
NRA Life Member 30+ Years
WT

Post by WT »

See this post listed below:

Post subject: ATTENTION ON CHEAPER LEUPOLD SCOPES

There is a link to Leupold regarding the fake scopes.
Wayne,

WT

Post by WT »

Oh, what the heck! Here's the link:

http://www.leupold.com/home_flash.htm
Wayne,

trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

Post by trevort »

Craigyboy, the opticzone is a US dased retailer but he is a sponsor member on our main board and sells a lot of scopes to Oz. Browse his site. You will be shocked by the prices! (pleasantly)
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

C B , I know this dealer ,he's in my area and I do buy from them , but this ad looked fishy --with the wrong picture , they sell all over and have been in business for at least 30 years . I'm not sure what to think , can you e-mail them and talk to them , I can get you a phone number if you want.