Elite 4200 6X24X50, 30mm

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Canis Latrans
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Elite 4200 6X24X50, 30mm

Post by Canis Latrans »

I've been looking at bying a new scope for my .204 for a year now but was always undecided as to what I should acquire. So I was reading on another forum that some guy bought an Elite 4200 6 X 24 X 50, 30mm tube and although he didn't try it yet, he said he heard some really good reviews about it.

Before I make a purchase, I wanted to run this by you guys to see what you think and if some of you have this scope, please tell me what you think of it.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9847-185-bushnel ... scope.aspx

Thanks for any info.

Canis.
Shoot straight....or eat track soup
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: Elite 4200 6X24X50, 30mm

Post by Vartarg »

The Elite 4200 has a real good reputation, but I think the big question here is what are you going to use it for? Target? PD, Groundhogs? Coyotes/Foxes? Depending, the 6X24 may be too much power. Just a thought......
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Canis Latrans

Post by Canis Latrans »

Yeah! that's right, forgot to say what it was for. Mostly PD in the early summer months and coyote/fox in the winter. I already have a cheap 6X24 on the rifle and it's fine by me as far as power goes. I know I should use lower power for predators, especially if you call them in close, I never had any problems shooting them up close.

Thanks again! do you have any experience with this particular scope Vartarg?

Canis.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

If you are using it when its going to be hot, you won't be able to go up to 24 power anyways, because of mirage. If you are going to be using it on coyotes and don't have another scope, I would go with 4.5-14 or something similar, it will also work with pdogs too because you don't need 20 power to shoot to 500 yards. I have taken a rockchucks at between 400-572 yards with a 12 power scope.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

No....I don't have experience with that particular scope. I've got two Burris Signature 6X24's which I like alot...along with a Weaver GS 6X20 and a Leupold III 6.5X20, and some smaller power scopes. I'd guess that a 3.5X10 or 4.5X14 might be perfect for what you're looking for. I just know the Bushnell 4200 Elites by reputation....Good luck, and let us know what you decide. George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Canis: I have one of these scopes albeit with a 1 inch tube and a 44 mm objective. It is a nice clear scope and the top end magnification poses no problem for me. They are a bit longer than a comparable Leupold scope and not as good quality in my opinion. I don't want to just hit a coyote, I want to see precisely where the bullet is going to strike to minimize fur damage and kill the thing instantly. Having said that, it might be a bit tricky to pick up a running coyote at 100 yards at 24 power but I don't try to do that much any more. Once I start waving a heavy barrel rifle around at a distant target, I am just as likely to miss or wound the animal. And you can always dial it down when you are calling in thicker habitat.
Rodbolt

Post by Rodbolt »

Canis,
The scope your are referencing is a Bushnell Tactical Elite, a model just released this spring. I have two of them and also have two of the earlier released, 1" tube Elites, with side focus. The older model 4200's and B & L 4000 are the long models with front AO's. I'm impressed with the Tactical Elite, the optics are excellent, big adjustment knobs with nice clicks, fast focus eyepiece, heavy tube, internals shock rated for extended recoil, free sun shade and the side focus is without backlash, nicely marked. The power range is great, 6X for close work, 24X for benchrest/load development and 10-14X for pasture poodles. I think the mil-dot is spec'd for 12X. Like any true tactical scope it is heavy and while the mil-dot and crosshair isn't as thick as a Leupold or Zeiss it is a heavier reticle then most varmint or target scopes. I shot hundreds of prairie dogs with the four of mine this summer and had no problem, some of my buddies preferred a finer reticle.

I own more Leupolds then Bushnells but I think the Tactical Elite is an outstanding value and prefer it over the Loopy VX-III's. I like the Nightforce NXS the best but they are even longer/heavier and cost over twice the $'s. You might check around on price, I paid ~$100 less for my scopes....... If you want a smaller, lighter scope then the Tactical Elite, the 4200 Elite 6-24x50 side focus 1" tube model costs a bit less but doesn't have a fast focus eye piece nor does it include a sunshade. HTH's
Canis Latrans

Post by Canis Latrans »

Thanks everybody for your inputs,

I have considered every statements and they all make sense. The reason I like the Elite is because it's a tactical scope, big knobs, 30mm tube, the free sunshade and it's not AO. I have nothing against AO, I just like a side focus better. I wish they made this scope in less power such as 4.5X14 as I agree with Vartarg's and Verminator2's statements about power. I havent seen the reticle for myself so I will gladly take into account Singleshot and Rodbolt's experience on this scope.

I've been looking at a few Tactical Leupold as well, but they're expensive, I don't mind that as I mostly have Leupies on all my rifles and am quite satisfied with the product and of course, the outstanding service they've provided me over the years. Money is not really an issue, versatility is.

I'm heading for Calgary this afternoon and will be at wholesale sports and Russell sports checking scopes out as well as reloading components. I will probably come back with a scope. I'll keep you posted on my choice.

Thanks again for your inputs, it certainly helped me make up my mind better.

Have a great day.

Canis.
Canis Latrans

Post by Canis Latrans »

Hey guys,

Went to Calgary and bought a Leupold VARI X III LR 4.5 X 14 X 50 in 30mm, Varmint Reticle and side focus. Had to buy some new rings (Leupold) to fit my Ruger M77 as well as the Leupold flip caps and a 4" sunshade. Will eventually send it in to get the tactical turrets put on...next year probably.

I will be going to the range next weekend to sight it in and see how things will be...probably good. I looked at a bunch of scopes, I actually spent close to 2 hours with a saleman to make sure I was making the right decision. I came close to buy many different scopes, but settled on what I already own and know best...Leupold.

Thanks again, couldn't have made a better informed decision without your cooperation.

Canis.