Hunting scope questions

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
tc4me

Hunting scope questions

Post by tc4me »

I just bought a CZ varmint in 204. I would like to know what size and power scope would suit this rifle best? It will be used for coyote and groundhog hunting. I have never owned a scope with a A.O. . I realize if I get something beyond 10x it will have this option. Do I need a scope larger than 10x for my intended purpose? Should I plan on getting something more powerful to take advantage of the long range capabilities of the rifle? I can see the ocassional 400yd shot on a groundhog, but more practicle is the 300yd range. I would also like to hear any reccomendations you may have for brand and model of scope. I am looking at 400-500 dollar range but would prefer to save a little money if possible. All replies and sugestions willbe appreciated. I sort of like the looks of the Nikon buckmaster series. Particularly the side focus .
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Hunting scope questions

Post by Glen »

Weaver 4.5-14x40AO
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I have one of the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18s with SF, it's pretty nice, and I can recommend it highly. The only thing I DON'T like about it, is the BDC reticle, which I was curious about, so I ordered it with that reticle. I would NOT do so, again. Live and learn :| I still haven't figured out how it's supposed to work, and the instructions from Nikon are unintelligible for me. SO, get a Buckmaster if you like, but get the Nikoplex reticle, The optics are good, anyway :D I ordered mine from http://theopticzone and practically stole it at $289, EVERYONE else had it for $369, even the better known optics sales places. I haven't checked his prices recently, but his service is outstanding, and he sponsors some awfully good websites, too.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
tc4me

Post by tc4me »

Thanks for the replies. I wound up buying a Bushnell 4200 elite 4-16x X 40. Can not wait for it to get here!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I think that's a great choice. If you don't like the reticle it comes with, you can send it to Bushnell for a dot reticle which would be my choice. Let us all know how you like it. Bushnell Elite scopes are good stuff, but they don't seem to penetrate the target/varmint business very well. I think that's because of their lousey cross hairs. The good ones they make( dots and ballistic) are not available on the right scopes or you have to send 'em in to get changed. The rep. for my area is trying to get a test run of scopes built for our market. If they don't respond it's their loss.
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

I put a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 4-12 x 40 on my .204. I easily hit prairie dogs out to 400 yds. Sometimes I think I should have gotten something like a 6-24 with the multiple mil dots, but I guess that would only be needed if I planned on shooting 500 to 700 yds-which I don't. Those I see doing it are simply burning ammo and have few hits to show for it.