Burris scopes

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Burris scopes

Post by Pydpiper »

I put aside a shiny new .204 in a Tikka today, it came with a Burris 4x9 and I want bigger, perhaps better.
The store with the rifle is a Burris dealer, and part of their inventory is the scope with the digital rangefinder, and I think I like it..
If I get deterred form the battery powered scope I would like some opinions on other Burris scopes for this application, I know nothing about them.
Thanks!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Burris scopes

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Pyd: Some folks love 'em, some hate 'em, just like the Ford vs. Chevy thing.

Of all the American scopes made, they, along with Leupold, Nightforce, and Weaver are perhaps the best of the lot. I personally do not care for them, as every one I've had in the past had too critical eye relief, and aligning the eye with the scopes ocular lens for a full view was a real pain in comparison to my favorite, Leupold. But optically, most would agree that they are very good glass. If you go with one, get as high end a unit as possible.

If you want much more input on Burris, go over to the GGVG forum and do a search, as this very subject has been discussed at length with more members than are usually present here at any one time. PM me if you need directions to get there.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Burris scopes are great optics:
Fullfield series=very good, they have a nice 6.5-20 with a ballistic reticle.
Signature series=excellent,4-16 and 6-24 with AO and choice of reticles
Diamond series=True world class

Burris is one of if not the strongest scopes built. They are typically big and heavey for their application. They have some nice reticles and some that are too busy for my taste. I've been to the factory-it is impressive. They are very willing to change reticles, do updates, and will do warranty repairs promptly. Quality control seems excellent.
For some reason, since combining with Pentax a few years back, a lot of dealers don't like them too well these days. I don't know if it's pricing issues or some other aspect of their representation. You won't go wrong with a good Burris.

That being said , for a very few dollars more, Leupold does most things better and the reticles are better for target and varmint shooting.

I have 10 Leupold rifle scopes, 3 Burris, and 2 Bushnell Elite.
My priority would be Leupold if possible, Burris good second choice and I would buy more Elites if I liked thier reticles.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

What Hotshot said!! I've got two Signature 6x24's.....one on my Ruger VT and the other on my DPMS .204....very satified.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Post by jwc41 »

I've got two 6.5x20 FFII's with the Ballistic Mil-Dot reticle, one on a Rem 700V in 223, the other a tactical model on a 204 AR. The plain-jane model is made in Asia, while the tactical in marked "Made in USA." The bodies are of identical shape and because the turrets are more centered than my older Signature 6x24, mounting is much easier. Other than the tactical model's higher turrets and removable knobs, I can tell no difference in the adjustments, both are precise and return to zero. The glass is identical in both, leading me to wonder if the glass in the overseas model is ground and coated in the US.

Once I figured out the bullet drop at the different power settings for each load I use (which--because of different scope height, bullets, velocities, altitude and temperature--is not as easy as the provided stickers suggest), they have both proven to be quick to use in the field at varying distances, on prairie dogs and ground squirrels. I used to be a mostly Leupold guy, but to get equivalent glass and features from the boys in Oregon I'd be out another $2-300 per scope. The Burris offerings appear to be a pretty good value.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks guys!
I have been reading a whole lot about these scopes, can't seem to find anything negative about them.
I may just keep the 3x9 (I was wrong in my first post about 4x9) on the .204 for a bit and see if it works out for me. I don't see many small critters to shoot so this gun will be used mostly for coyotes.
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

If you are going out prairie dog shooting go for a scope with not less than 14x or higher than 18X. If you are going to call in varmints the 3-9 X scope will give you the feild af view for close shots. For prairie dog shooting I have Leupold 6-18 X scope with AO on my 204 Ruger rifle. I have two 6.5-20 X w/AO scopes on 220 Swift and 243 Win rifles. The feild of view is limited at 20X when I see a p dog at 100 yards.. I like the Burris Fullfeild 4.5-14X w/AO BPLEX on my 17 HMR rifle and the Leupold 4-12X w/AO on a 17 HM2 rifle.