what scope?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Re: what scope?

Post by fishy »

What's your thoughts on the bushnell banner series of scopes? I looked at one over the weekend at my local Cabela's and I thought it was alright. I cant seem to find any reviews that say it is a bad scope, but I also am not seeing any saying it is the scope to have. I guess what I am getting at is anyone have any real world experience with this line of scopes with any pros and cons to it. In store the scope I was looking at appeared really nice to look through, but i am also a very sceptical person and dont always trust my first impression.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I'm afraid that it's still largely true that you most often get what you pay for.....I'd stay away from the Banner or Cabelas Pine Ridge scopes.

Take a look at the Bushnell 3200 or 4200 line of scopes.....Natchez Shooters has been having a clearance on them.

Also, the Burris Fullfield scopes offers some good mid-range priced quality optics.....

I own and have owned a lot of good Weavers over the years as well......

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.....

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Used to be Leupold only for me as well, until we had kids! Tried a Nikon Buckmaster w/ side focus and really liked it. Used it for 3 years and never had a problem, sold it with the rifle. Last scope I bought is a Vortex Viper. I've only had it for about 5 months but, so far it has been excellent. I would put it on a par with the VX-II on all counts, save one. The eye relief is just a bit less forgiving than the Leupold.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

fishy wrote:What's your thoughts on the bushnell banner series of scopes? I looked at one over the weekend at my local Cabela's and I thought it was alright. I cant seem to find any reviews that say it is a bad scope, but I also am not seeing any saying it is the scope to have. I guess what I am getting at is anyone have any real world experience with this line of scopes with any pros and cons to it. In store the scope I was looking at appeared really nice to look through, but i am also a very sceptical person and dont always trust my first impression.
What application will the scope be used for? To me a scope is just like the screw driver in my tool box, all sizes and shapes for specific applications. No matter what, always try to get the best optics you can afford, even if it means holding off and saving because (IMO) if you have to buy twice (trading up, etc...) it will cost you more, more often than not.

HTH
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by fishy »

Jim White wrote: What application will the scope be used for? To me a scope is just like the screw driver in my tool box, all sizes and shapes for specific applications. No matter what, always try to get the best optics you can afford, even if it means holding off and saving because (IMO) if you have to buy twice (trading up, etc...) it will cost you more, more often than not.

HTH
This new scope I'm looking for is to go on my Ruger M77 204R. Right now I have a Leupold 4-12x40 on it but would like to put a 6-18 on her. I just feel I am a little under powered in the scope department on this gun for some of the shooting I know I will do with it. I'm with ya on the holding off for a while, which is what I am probable going to do right now unless something happens to come up. I just really hate when I buy something that I'm not happy with. Once again, thanks for all the advice here.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Nikon Buckmaster
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

I recently went through the "Which Scope" debate myself. Seems like all my friends have Leupold.... can't be like all my friends ;) I liked the Nightforce.... don't have that kind of money :( . Somebody on here recommended a Zeiss Conquest. So, I compared it to the Leupold and to me the Zeiss was much more clear. After waiting and looking, I found one online for the right price and I snagged it. I love it! I highly recommend at least looking through one. I really like their varmint reticle.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

fishy wrote:This new scope I'm looking for is to go on my Ruger M77 204R. Right now I have a Leupold 4-12x40 on it but would like to put a 6-18 on her.
I started out with a Leupold 4-12x40 on my 223, but when I got my 204, I put a VXII 6-18x40 AO on it. I have since opted for the same scope on my 223. When I purchased them, both were under $500.00. Shop around a bit on the net to find your price. As of now, all my rifles wear Leupold's, and I am very happy with all of them. I spend a lot of time behind my 204 and my 223, and I believe that with better quality optics, I have way less eye fatigue and they reduce eye strain.

When I started shooting sage rats years ago, I was using, what I thought at the time, was a quality scope. But after a few hours of shooting, my eyes felt like they were full of gravel. After upgrading my optics, I don't have that problem any more. JMHO and my experience.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

Fishy, have a good look at the Bushnell Elite line. The 3200's are real good and do not break the bank, the 4200's are even better but more $$$. Bushnell has recently changed scope names; they have the 6500 (too rich for my bank), the Elite (I think it is like what they used to call 4200) and I do not think the 3200 is available but if you can find a place like Natchez, midway etc. selling some you will geet a very good scope at a moderate price.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I have two Nikon Monarchs 6-20x and 6-24x and neither of them equals the Bushnell Elite 4200's, the Leupolds, or Burris offerings in clarity, contrast or sharpness. The Elite 3200 and 4200 has been discontinued and branded as the Elite with new lens coatings. Even my Clearidge Ultra XP 6-20x is far superior to the Nikon equaling the best Elite or Leupolds. When you sight through the different brands at the same range session, it really becomes apparent how they stack up. If you want a scope with a tube length similar to the Nikon, but the optical quality of the Elite 4200 for under $350 try the Clearidge Ultra XP 6-20x from The Optic Zone at $320. Like the Redfield, they ship in a plain Jane box, have no frills, and are marked with white numerals, but the picture and quality are very good.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

How do the Elite 6500 compare to the Elite 4200?

I passed on a Baush & Lomb Elite 4200 (4-16x40/AO) about a year or so ago and I can shoot myself for doing so. In another instance I looked tru a Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 and on 16x it exhibted the hazy/foggy look much like my Nikon Monarch (6-24x50) did above 18x. FWIW, my Nikon Buckmaster which is the pre SF models, does-not have the hazy/foggy look an max power.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

I would also recommend the clearidge xp 6.5-20x40.
The optics are really sharp even at 20 power.
I just bought another clearidge scope, a xp5 4.5-22.5x50 and it is even better.
Low profile target turrets, side focus, and great optics and its only 13.3 inches long.
The mildot version is 499 dollars less 7% discount from www.theopticzone.com.
They come with a lifetime warranty also.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

fishy wrote:I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye right now that I would like to put a different scope on. Right now I have it topped with a leupold rifleman 4-12x40. Not exactly sure what I want yet, but I do want to get something a little more powerful. Another requirement is I would like to keep it in the $350 range. Any of your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Not sure if it might be up your line of thought but might look at Mueller eradicator.......nice scope for the money....