what scope?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

what scope?

Post by fishy »

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye right now that I would like to put a different scope on. Right now I have it topped with a leupold rifleman 4-12x40. Not exactly sure what I want yet, but I do want to get something a little more powerful. Another requirement is I would like to keep it in the $350 range. Any of your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: what scope?

Post by Hotshot »

My first choice is Leupold, but you won't step up much in that budget unless you find a killer deal on a used one.
Check out Burris Fullfield II, that's a good product for the money.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

You could take a look through the SWFA used/demo website.
http://www.samplelist.com/ViewProducts.aspx

Sightron
Nikon (not the current Monarchs though, evidently they aren't up to par)
Burris
Bushnell
Weaver
Vortex
SWFA

Just some ideas.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Contact RIO. He might still have a 6-18x40 Leupold for sale.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: Thanks for the referral buddy, but it's sold and down the road. No used Leupold's available from here at present.

P.S. In the scope Dept., you've certainly been a busy boy yourself!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Midway has a special model Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40mm with mil-dot reticle for $309. Side-focus, 1/8" clicks, extra set of target knobs and sunshade included; glass not quite as good as a Monarch, but as good or better than most other in that $ range. I have one and after getting used to the bit of "tunnel vision", it's become one of my favorites. Also, some places like Natchez have Bushnell 3500 Elites on closeout: <$300 for a 7-21X (might be out of stock) or 250 bucks or so for a 5-15X40; were formerly (arguably) overpriced, but if one prefers AO, they are now in the running. I have the 7-21, and prefer the Nikon, but that's mainly because the Bushnell's not SF, and not for performance/reliability issues of the Elite.
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

fishy,
Alot of good advice already, but my father bought a Alaskan Guide from cabelas , its power was 4.5x12 and anyhow it was not power enough for his uses on a .223 varmint, so was going to return it after it was unmounted came over to my house and was sharing with me and what I found out was very pleasing so much so I put it on my 30-06 customized long range shooter. The optics to look through was crystal clear edge to edge and the EBX drop reticle was the ticket for the long range shooting the crosshairs did not block the target at my shooting distances. Anyhow on to what he did get was a 6x18 with the same reticle and now has enough power for varmint shooting and it is SF/ 50MM objective lens and the optics are as nice and it has a life time warranty and is around 315.00 you may want to consider this, I have never owned a Millett but the reviews are in favor for those as well.
Semper Fi
No Quarter

Post by No Quarter »

Weaver V24
Chuck
fishy

Post by fishy »

Thanks for all the advice fella's. I haven't done much research as of yet, but intend on doing some this weekend. All I have ever owned is leupold and would really like to stick with another one, but after recently switching jobs with a substantial cut in pay, I figured I would try and give another brand a try.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I would check out Vortex, but after owning Leopolds, be careful what you buy because you just might be disappointed.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
fishy

Post by fishy »

ryutzy wrote: after owning Leopolds, be careful what you buy because you just might be disappointed.
That's kinda what I am worried about. My problem is that I really dont know anything but Leupold. I did get a chance last weekend to shoot my cousins AR with a Nikon Buckmaster on it (not sure what model) and was surprised by the clarity. At this point I think I will find a couple in the price range I am shooting for and head to the local Cabela's and take a look at them. Once again , thanks for the advice.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

fishy wrote:
ryutzy wrote: after owning Leopolds, be careful what you buy because you just might be disappointed.
That's kinda what I am worried about. My problem is that I really dont know anything but Leupold. I did get a chance last weekend to shoot my cousins AR with a Nikon Buckmaster on it (not sure what model) and was surprised by the clarity. At this point I think I will find a couple in the price range I am shooting for and head to the local Cabela's and take a look at them. Once again , thanks for the advice.
All my competition rifles wear Leupold scopes. I also have a Nikon Buckmaster in 4.5-14x with BDC. I ame extremely happy with the clarity of that particular scope. Very crisp and clear. I wish I had bumped up to the 6-18x Buckmaster, but the 4.5-14x is a fantastic coyote and big game scope. Great bang for the buck.

Speaking of competitions... I gotta get to bed. I have to get up at 2:30am and head to Arizona for the high power silhouette state championships this weekend. I have no idea what I am thinking about screwing around here on the internet! Cheers!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

FWIW-- i have 2 Swift Premier 4-12X40AO's. One on a 5MM RF & the other on my 221 FireBall. I just paid $169 shipped for the latest Swift.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Fishy- I have a new Nikon Monarch 4X16X50 with the BDC reticle and I was disappointed with the clarity on it. It looked pretty good in the store until I got out in the real world and I wish my money would have gone on another scope. I think most Nikons are decent, but this one is not worth the money that I forked out. The scope works well other than the clarity issue.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
fishy

Post by fishy »

Well, I did make it to Cabela's yesterday in Mitchell SD, but didn't get much time to look as I was Up there for work and was limited on time. I did take a look at the Nikon Buckmaster series briefly and think I will give them a second look. I am also thinking about looking at the Pine Ridge series that Cabelas offers, but am also thinking I might hold off till I can afford what I really want. The latter might be the best option as I dont want to be disappointed.
Heres a photo of me with the AR mentioned above