Still my all around favorite scope

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

Over the past ten years since I got into shooting I've owned many different brands and models of scopes such as- Bushnell Banner, Scopechief, Trophy, Elite 3200, Sightron S11, Simmons 44mag,Nikon Monarch, Nitrex TR2, Weaver V16, and Weaver Grand Slam. The one scope that stands out head and shoulders above all of these and which I keep coming back to is the Weaver Grand Slam. I have three of them now in the in the 6-20x40 OA with the fine cross hair and dot configuration. Second to the Weaver is the Scopechief which I got on sale for $135. Too bad I had to go through so much money before I found a truly decent bang for my buck. I thought the Nikon was going to be a step up from the Weaver as I had looked through one about eight years ago and I remember it being razor sharp. Maybe I just got a bad one. My buddy has some Leupolds that are better than my Weavers but they cost about 2.5x as much as my Weavers and aren't 2.5x better. The Nitrex TR2 was supposed to be like a Weaver Super Slam, but my Grand Slams are still much better. These are just my opinions, I could be wrong. So whenever anybody asks me what scope they should buy, I always recomend the Weaver Grand Slam-best scope for the dollar IMHO.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: Still my all around favorite scope

Post by RowdyYates »

I want to agree with you, but I wish The Grand Slam was side-focus. Still might get one someday, though.
Jimbob
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1

Post by Jimbob »

It's that law of diminishing returns ... you can pay more but is it worth it? Weavers are an excellent scope, for the money. I've got a Leupold VX3 4.5 - 14 on my .204, but only because they were on special at the time of purchase.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I purchased a Weaver Classic Extreme 30mm tube in 2.5-10x 50 with the illuminated reticle and side focus when they were on closeout for under $200. Nice scope, it survived a couple hundred rounds of 6.5-284 without a hitch. That little red dot really stands out against a black target. I should have bought more. Those old Weaver K-4's with the steel tubes were my first scopes back when $40 was a lot of money. Subscribe to Natchez Shooters Supply newsletter, they often have closeout deals on fairly decent scopes.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

[quote="jrwoitalla"]Over the past ten years since I got into shooting I've owned many different brands and models of scopes such as- Bushnell Banner, Scopechief, Trophy, Elite 3200, Sightron S11, Simmons 44mag,Nikon Monarch, Nitrex TR2, Weaver V16, and Weaver Grand Slam. The one scope that stands out head and shoulders above all of these and which I keep coming back to is the Weaver Grand Slam. I have three of them now in the in the 6-20x40 OA with the fine cross hair and dot configuration. Second to the Weaver is the Scopechief which I got on sale for $135. Too bad I had to go through so much money before I found a truly decent bang for my buck.

jrwoitalla-- Based on the number of scopes you have gone through you could possibly have saved money buying Leupold from the get-go! I'm on of those guys that wont buy cheap scopes because it costs more money in the long run when you gota buy another because you aren't happy with the first one. I do hear that Weavers are good,so glad that you found a cheaper go-to scope. I too have tried the Nikons (500 smakaroos to be exact) and my 200 dollar Leupold puts that Nikon to shame. I wont buy another.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

I have a Weaver Classic V-24, fine cross hair and its great my shooting friend has his lupy -V-III SF and sold me this weaver and he's sorry he did but being the friend that I am I told him not to worry he can shoot it anytime he wants...
Semper Fi
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

Wrangler John- probably right. Live and learn. Glad I bought CZ and Tikka...worth every nickel. Lee makes the cheapest reloading equipment and I shoot sub moa groups with it. That logic just doesn't apply to scopes. Sometimes cheaper pays off sometimes it doesn't. In the end it's even Steven for me :)
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin