Leupold Target Scopes

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Leupold Target Scopes

Post by darchell »

Anyone have any knowlege the, Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50mm Long Range Target Scope? I was looking at some different scopes and oddly, this was the best price when compared to the Huskamaw, Ziess, Night Force and .... I forgot the other one. Anyway, I know they make a nice scope but have always been leary when getting a scope with high magnification die to clarity issues. Any info you folks may have would be appreciated.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Re: Leupold Target Scopes

Post by Trent »

The "other one" is most likely US Optics. :yeah:

I've looked through and used the 8.5-25x. It is a very nice scope, and I wish that Leupold would move the parallax on the 6.5-20x to the side like the 8.5-25x scope. It is tough to put it in the same company as NF, USO and Huskamaw scopes. It is also not in the same price range as those choices either.

I personally saw no clarity issues in the ones I've looked through except maybe a tiny bit at the outer edges at high magnification. You get a very slightly darker image at 25x as compared to what you see at 8.5x but that is expected. Slightly darker, but not cloudy. Still nice and crisp at 25x.

Real tough to compare the Leupy to the NF, USO scopes though.

I shoot in silhouette competition and travel to a lot of matches. The number one scope on the line is Leupold. The tactical operators and competitors are another story though. If they can afford them (or issued them) then they are using NF, USO... etc.
darchell

Post by darchell »

Trent,

Thank you for the reply. For me, 1,000 dollars is a lot for a scope and if it is close to the others mentioned it would be worth it to me. I don't have 2,000 plus for a scope. Even 1k is a ton. I am currently looking through a Nikon Monarch and like it but it does have it's issues at high magnification, especially in brite sunlight.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I have one of those and it's nice scope. How it compares to some of the other higher end scopes is for you to decide. One of the things i always try to do when comparing scopes is to keep them in the same class.

As far as Nikon Monarch's I think they're pretty decent except up near the high end of magnification. After that they fall off.

HTH
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Trent: All the Leupold LR scopes have the side parallax adjustment. I've got 7 of 'em, and every one of the LR models with 30mm main tubes all have the side adjustment, both 4.5-14X and the 6.5-20X.

It's their 1" tube models of those scopes that use the front AO (Adjustable Objective).

My Cooper M21 MTV in 204 Ruger showing the side adjustment for parallax on the Leupold 6.5-20X/40mm LR M1:

Like you, I much prefer the side parallax adjustment, and not having to reach all the way to the front of the scope to make adjustments (insert whine here.... ;) )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

spongejo
.204 Ruger Guns: howa1500

Post by spongejo »

hi mate, i have a vx3 8.5 25x50 & 14x 50 i love them, you could bang tent pegs in with them. one in varmint and other in mill dot. :D
darchell

Post by darchell »

Thanks for the replies.. I appreciate the help
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

All the scopes you named are great products made by exceptional companies. I recently went throughout the decision process of which scope to buy. Per the advice of all the good guys on here, I found the one for me. I went with the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. I looked through the Leupold and it was very comparable. IMO the Zeiss was just a little clearer. FWIW, I've looked at the same target through my Zeiss and a NF 5.5-25x56. The image clarity was noticeably better in the Zeiss. Granted, the NF offered more magnification. But, I paid $800 for mine, he paid $2400.

One note about Leupold vs Zeiss. The eye relief was better in the Leupold. It's not a big deal on the .204 but if I was putting a scope on a larger recoiling caliber, I'd be leaning more towards the Lupy. I think a longer eye relief offers a faster target acquisition time when going from sling to pointing/aiming, plus it might decrease the chance of getting a little kiss from your new scope ;)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

sharptailhunter wrote:All the scopes you named are great products made by exceptional companies. I recently went throughout the decision process of which scope to buy. Per the advice of all the good guys on here, I found the one for me. I went with the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. I looked through the Leupold and it was very comparable. IMO the Zeiss was just a little clearer. FWIW, I've looked at the same target through my Zeiss and a NF 5.5-25x56. The image clarity was noticeably better in the Zeiss. Granted, the NF offered more magnification. But, I paid $800 for mine, he paid $2400.

One note about Leupold vs Zeiss. The eye relief was better in the Leupold. It's not a big deal on the .204 but if I was putting a scope on a larger recoiling caliber, I'd be leaning more towards the Lupy. I think a longer eye relief offers a faster target acquisition time when going from sling to pointing/aiming, plus it might decrease the chance of getting a little kiss from your new scope ;)
Regarding eye relief on a (Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 vs a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50), I found that the Zeiss was constant throughout the entire zoom range, where as the Leupold did-not (albeit its still good (Leupold)). Another thing worth mentioning when comparing is how much internal adjustments do you need. The Leupold target model has plenty...the Zeiss, about half as much.

In the end, between thes two scopes (since I own both) it's one of those deals where you'll be happy no matter which way you decide.

HTH
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

Jim White wrote:
sharptailhunter wrote:
Regarding eye relief on a (Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 vs a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50), I found that the Zeiss was constant throughout the entire zoom range, where as the Leupold did-not (albeit its still good (Leupold)). Another thing worth mentioning when comparing is how much internal adjustments do you need. The Leupold target model has plenty...the Zeiss, about half as much.

In the end, between thes two scopes (since I own both) it's one of those deals where you'll be happy no matter which way you decide.

HTH
I can confirm that the eye relief is constant throughout the magnification range. Makes it fun for those ground squirrel shots when I'm scanning the field on low power, find one, keep him in view while I dial up the power, adjust parallax, and send it.

Now, I'm using the varmint reticle, so the only knob turning I do is adjusting POI while at the range. The varmint reticle makes for very fast adjustments using the the reticle. Someday, when I have more time, I'm going to better myself at using the knobs with windage/yardage charts.

But as others have said, both brands are excellent scopes and the isn't a squirrel or chuck out there that's not afraid of the two brands ;)
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

I just posted one for sale in "Swap Meet" LIsted price with Alumina metal flip up caps and 4" Leupold sunshade. $975.00 or you can spend the 1200+ if you can find a like new one. Mine has no ring marks or dings it is as NEW.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters