Leupold 50mm

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
mmlj
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Leupold 50mm

Post by mmlj »

I will be purchasing a CZ 527 varmint rifle in 204 Ruger. I am considering putting a Leupold variable scope with a 50mm objective lens using the CZ medium height rifle rings. I would like to know if these rings will allow the use of the 50mm scope. I would appreciate any feedback from those who have tried this combination on their rifles and would consider using Warne or other rings with this combination, since I have to purchase the rings separately. Thank you.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: Leupold 50mm

Post by Jim White »

Dunno about the 50mm objective clearence but one thing you "must" consider is: will the back of the scope clear the bolt handle.

I use the CZ rings that came with mine and I've had all kinds of scopes with 50mm objectives and never had a problem with the front of the scope. The rear (eye piece) is a different story.

HTH
mmlj

Post by mmlj »

Jim:

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I've also heard the bolt hand clearance can be an issue.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Regarding the Leupold scope you're considering: are you talking 30mm LR, or the 1" dia. tube model? The 30 will buy you a little more clearance, of course, and the 1" AO will have an even bigger objective bell than the 30mm side-focus and sit lower, exacerbating any problem. The barrel contour of the Varmint model vs. the American tightens things up more (on the objective end), also. At any rate, as stated before, you're probably due for a bolt-handle modification from james calhoon or the factory for the eyepiece to clear. Also, the heights of the different aftermarket and factory ringmounts vary considerably; for example: my medium Warnes are lower than the medium Burrises or C-Zs.
mmlj

Post by mmlj »

Rowdy:

Thank you for the information. The scope will have a 1" diameter. It appears the bolt handle clearance may be more of an issue than the objective end. Interesting information about the height of the other rings, as I am also considering using the medium Warne rings.
32dgrz
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by 32dgrz »

Here is my VX3 8.5 X 25 X 50 LR Target on top of my Cooper 204
It took high rings . Hope this helps
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

I believe you will need either high or maybe even extra high to get the clearance you will need...