Simmons Predator Quest Scope

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
bkhartman
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet

Simmons Predator Quest Scope

Post by bkhartman »

Any good reviews on the Predator Quest, looking at options thanks Brian
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: Simmons Predator Quest Scope

Post by Vartarg »

My experience of Simmons quality, though it hasn't been recent, was not good.....

I'd forget the "Predator Quest" marketing gimmick, and look at a Nikon ProStaff or Redfield......

JMHO,

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Vartarg wrote:My experience of Simmons quality, though it hasn't been recent, was not good.....

I'd forget the "Predator Quest" marketing gimmick, and look at a Nikon ProStaff or Redfield......

JMHO,

George
JMHO also. I have the prostaffs and a redfield and I have no reason to complain.
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

On Simmons scopes: A friend is an elk outfitter here in Oregon. He once told me that of all the failed hunts his clients have had, the most scope failures due to fogging or just plain faulty design or assembly, have mostly been cheapos like Simmons. He actually named Simmons as the worst offender, and Trashco as second.

He told me that now he asks his clients on the phone what scope is on their rifle before booking an elk hunt in the high country. If it's got a Simmons or similar on the rifle, he tells them flatly to get a decent scope with good optics, as no refunds are granted due to a cheap ChiCom scope failing.

In my lifetime, I've had one Simmons that came on a rifle from a gunshow. One trip into the desert after jacks, and the thing was taken off the rifle right there and never came home. It's still there as far as I know......pure junk. JME

We all have our preferences, usually based on budget. If you can, go to a local gunshop (not a box store), ask if you can look through various brands. You'll soon see the relationship between optical clarity/brightness/quality and price. Get all the scope you can afford; your eyes deserve the best.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bkhartman
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet

Post by bkhartman »

Thanks guys great response. I use Nikon on most rifles just thought Id ask maybe Simmons did some improvements. Had one fog up myself on my .223 and went to Nikon at that time. Looking for a couple of new optics for a new Savage 220 and to replace one(very old BSA) on the .17hmr. Also need one for the .204 I will have as soon as I can decide which one to get. Lots of good info here. Thanks again Brian
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

I had ("had" being the key word) a Simmons on a plinker....it didn't last even on a .22.....Myself looking at the Mueller Eradicator for my new "toy"....Nice glass, good prices...decent customer service.....
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I had a Simmons Master Series 6-21 x 40 mm on my 1st .204 and preferred that over my Busnell Elite 3200. If done properly, the parallax dialed out well without doing funky things to the focus (which is my compliant with the Elite). It tracked and held zero perfectly, and the image clarity was superior to the Elite, and was noteable from mid-day light through to sunset. My Leupold VX-III is plainly superior to both.

That said, I'm cautions about recommending a chi-com scope to anyone for a serious duty rifle because of the failures reported by others, which personally, I believe.