Scope upgrade?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
kjw204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Varmint

Scope upgrade?

Post by kjw204 »

I'm thinking of upgrading the glass on my .204, I have a 4.5-14 nikon on it now which seems to work just fine however more magnification would be nice. I have a couple in mind, the Leupold VX3 in 6-20 and the Zeiss conquest with the same mag. range. Any opinions guys, reviews are giving the Zeiss a slight edge in glass quality. Both are in the same price range.
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Re: Scope upgrade?

Post by terrace »

never owned a Leupold . but I really like my zeiss scopes
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

The Luepold VXII in 6-18 is a nice fit for the 204.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I have each one and I think they are both pretty close. I do like the quick eye focus of the Zeiss over the Leupold. Is the Leupold a S/F or is it an AO and is it an EFR model? The EFR is nice when you want a shot up close where the Zeiss or non EFR scopes won't focus in.

HTH
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I was ready to "bite the bullet" and pop for either one of the two you mentioned, but then the price went up on the VX3 and the extra weight of the Zeiss worked against it (for my use) and I reconsidered. Shopped around and, for a little more than the price of a LR 6-20X VX3 I bought: a new 6-18X VX2 (with upgraded glass over the VXII); and an open-box Minox 5-20X 50mm. Both going on my .204s to replace a 5-20X Monarch and a 6-18X Buckmaster. I'd consider the German-engineered, American-assembled, Schott-glassed Minox kind of a poor-man's Zeiss, and so far seems to be a fine scope. Thought I'd miss the side-focus with the Leupold, but the spacious view compared to the notorious "tunnel vision" of the Buckmasters more than makes up for the less-convenient AO, and it does focus down closer.
Sorry I couldn't personally directly compare the 2 scopes you inquired about and not trying to hijack, just stating my own upgrade experience.
kjw204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Varmint

Post by kjw204 »

The Leupold I'm considering is the VX-3 6.5-20x50mm Long Range Target. I will look into the vx2's as well as the EFR option as well.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

I have both and agree with Jim White's post. You really can't go wrong either way.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

I have several of the Leupold rifle scopes and they are top shelf as far as predator and varmints go! I however, saved a truckload of money last year by going the route of the Bushnell Tactical scope in the 5 x 15 power, mil-dots, Turrets and Adj AO too. The Leupold were not as bright and cost over a $100 bucks more money. I took home 4 of those Bushnell scopes for $369 dollars plus tax to Uncle Sam and Obama Care.

Bushnell has a new Tactical scope out this year, 6 X 20 set up with turrets, Adj-AO and an excellent reticle that is great for long range shooting but might be confusing to some that don't know how to use the "mil-dot" screen.
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by ozfox »

Love my vx 3 6.5x 20 -50 with fine duplex on my cooper