What would you get?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Boisblancboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VS SF II

What would you get?

Post by Boisblancboy »

Right now I have a 1.75x6 VX-3 with tactical turrets on my 204. Which is a great scope I just need a higher power, shooting at most varmints over 200 yards is not an easy task with it. So what would you guys recommend power wise with tactical turrets? I like being able to dial and see my elevation and windage easily.
.204 Remington 700 VS SF II
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: What would you get?

Post by RAMOS »

For myself, at least 18X. Mine is 20X and I believe quite a few guys can go up to25X.
Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

I should have said I am looking for a variable power as well.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Most of my rat rifles wear Leupold VX3 6.5-20X - 40mm Long Range with the VHR and M1 elevation turret factory installed. This gives both a wide magification range, able to mount low over the bore, and with both the M1 and VHR, you have two methods of accurate POI at all ranges.

Values on the turret coincide with the MOA values on the ballistics program, so we call this "Dial-A-Rat"...works excellent.

Come-up charts derived from my ballistics program, tailored to the area intended to be shot (temp, elev, etc.) enables me to accurately dial the range into the M1 turret and get first shot hit probability almost every time.....sweet. ;)

Just remember fine reticles for distant small targets when you decide. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

What's the difference between VHR and the M1?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

VHR = Varmint Hunter Reticle

M1 = Military/Tactical turret, same as used on the military MK-4 Series

What I'm referring to is using the reticle for quick shots w/o dialing, and the M1 turret for accurate, repeatable dial-up elevation. (Almost a must to be used with a ballistics program.)

If you're not familiar with these terms, best to log onto Leupold's website and get a quick education prior to spending hard-earned cash. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

Did what you suggested and I think all I would need is the M1 turrets. I think that 6.5x20 would be a great scope. Not sure when I could fit that into my budget.

Can you get the M1 turret caps seperatly from the scope? I have a 14 power scope but doesn't have the m1 turrets so I'm think if I could just get those I would be set for awhile anyway.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Boisblancboy wrote:Can you get the M1 turret caps seperatly from the scope? I have a 14 power scope but doesn't have the m1 turrets so I'm think if I could just get those I would be set for awhile anyway.
No, it's not just a cap, it's an entire new internal/external modification to the scope, and is factory Custom Shop work. Cost is around $65 per turret if memory serves. If the 14X scope you refer to is a Leupold of fairly recent manufacture, chances are it can be converted to either/both the VHR and/or the M1 turret. From experience, I'd suggest only the elevation turret, and 'hold-off'' for wind using the wind ticks of the reticle. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

Thanks for the info. Now why would you suggested holding off for wind instead of dialing it in?
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Boisblancboy wrote:Thanks for the info. Now why would you suggested holding off for wind instead of dialing it in?
I won't speak for Rick, but in my experience the wind changes so frequently that it's not practical to dial in adjustments. I also think you start running into problems dialing two different turrets. Doing so is both time consuming and more opportunity for mistakes (forget to change a turret, etc). Others may disagree, but that's my philosophy.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yeppers, Mike pretty well summed it up. The other thing to consider is that at each range you'd shoot, the wind will react on the bullet differently at varying ranges, so trying to keep dialing wind for individual shots is like chasing your tail and very frustrating....hold off works very well for this. Using the wind ticks or hash marks in the VH Reticle makes this chore much easier.

Target shooters dial wind, but they're shooting a known distance repeatedly....when varmint shooting, you generally only get ONE shot. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

While I agree to some extent about your comments. I'm not sure what the difference would be between counting a few click or hoping that the particular hash mark(which your still guessing at) is going to be more accurate. In either case unless you know exact wind drift and distance it'd estimated guess work. I think either will work just fine. Personally think this would come down to what your more comfortable with, suppose that's why there are more than one option available.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Boisblancboy: It's never 'estimated' distance....every shot taken during these outings is either lasered and corrected for at the scope, or is known from 'working over' a given area at generally the same distance, it's become easy to judge the wind and hold accordingly.....experience is the real teacher here, and only time in the field will make you comfortable using any of these systems. This has worked in the rat patch for a very long time. We also employ wind flags along with Kystrel wind meters, so much of the 'estimation' has been taken out of the equation. Pick a system you prefer, learn it and practice with it; both work, but this is what we narrowed the choices down to for the type of varmint shooting we do here, which is about 2,000 CF rounds a year for myself.

Our opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them. Mine is humbly based on just over 55 years of being behind a rifle, sending 'just a few' rounds downrange. Take it for what's it worth and proceed accordingly....it's your money, time, and rifle, amigo. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

I hope you don't think I'm trying to argue cause that's not the case. Elevation is much easier to figure the windage cause they are not the same from the muzzle to the target, not saying that you don't know that!

I also did say either is fine and work depends on what style you have learned and become comfortable with.

Also if all the variables are known there is no problem then comes down to time and the man behind the gun.

Too bad the variables are not constant it would make shooting easier but not as rewarding either.

I do appreciate the comments and info.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Boisblancboy wrote:Too bad the variables are not constant it would make shooting easier but not as rewarding either.
Yep, that would make for a Perfect Shooting World, eh? :D
Boisblancboy wrote:I do appreciate the comments and info.
No worries, let us know what you end up with, and how it works for you in the field. Good luck with the quest.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA