Anyone ever seen the "Best of the West" hunting show?

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Anyone ever seen the "Best of the West" hunting show?

Post by Va varminter »

Those are some long freakin' shots :eek: . They are using Berger VLD bullets. I thought those were for punching paper.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Anyone ever seen the "Best of the West" hunting show?

Post by Melvin Eades »

I have, they make some looonnngg shots. The last show I saw a guy shoot an elk at 860 yards and dropped him on the spot.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I think next week they shoot a grizz. at 500+. It is very entertaining tv, but could give average Joe the wrong idea about what most guns and hunters can pull off. But like I said, very entertaining.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I watch it sometimes. Christensen Arms is another show where they take rediculously long shots.
Berger VLD's are hunting bullets. Their target bullets are TargetVLD's. http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/H ... llets.html
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

That Berger VLD apparently makes a pretty good hunting bullet if a guy puts it in the chest cavity, where it belongs.

I'd used 'em for target shooting with excellent results, then a couple of years ago I started hearing about using them for hunting and my ears perked up a little. I did some digging and found out that gunwriter John Barsness had used them extensively on game up to about 400 pounds. His results were impressive to say the least.

Apparently the long tapered nose of the VLD and the small hollow point, combine to make a bullet that (unlike any other) penetrates a few inches before even starting to open up. Then when it opens, it does so violently, pretty well destroying the vital organs inside the chest cavity.

I was intrigued. Loaded some up for my .25-06 and my .300 WSM and decided to try them last season. The 115 gr Berger from the .25-06 proved itself on coyotes and also on a good sized mule deer buck. Results were what Barsness mentioned - good penetration with delayed expansion, then the bullet came apart and destroyed the heart & lungs. I was impressed. One kill on a good sized mule deer buck isn't much of a track record - but the bullet did indeed work well, and as advertised. Some friends have reported success on elk with the heavier .30's.

They're not a bullet for deep penetration through bone & muscle like a Nosler Partition or a Barnes TSX, but it is a good bullet for the purpose.

Regards, Guy