Venison recipe

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Venison recipe

Post by Mike »

I wanted to share what has now become my absolute favorite venison recipe. It would work with other types of steak as well.

I take a package of butterfly chops and soak them in Coke (the soda) for at least 6-8 hrs. Then I put steak seasoning on both sides and stuff the middle of the chops with crumbled feta cheese. Next, I close the butterflied chops back up and wrap each one with a piece of bacon. Add a couple of toothpicks to hold all of that together and toss them on the grill until the bacon is cooked on all sides, turning every couple of minutes.

D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Venison recipe

Post by Hotshot »

Thanks Mike. Sounds like a good recipe for sure. Never would have thought of Coca-Cola for a marinade.

Say why don't you send me some of those chops so I can try it out right now. Otherwise I have to use prairie dogs.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

A friend gave me that recipe last week and I got the chance to test it out yesterday. I wouldn't have thought of using Coke either, but I really enjoyed the flavor. It's subtle, but you can pick it out among all of the other flavors in that recipe.

I'd be happy to share in my harvest if the dang things would ship well. I hate to see a fellow member stuck with prairie dog burger this time of year! At least you have some of the best scenery in America up there! I'd live in Montana in a heartbeat if the right opportunity ever presented itself.

Does Cooper need a great sales rep? :)
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

My understanding of using Coca Cola in a meat recipe, is that the coke tenderizes the meat. never tried it myself, so i can't say from experience. also i would not be able to handle the sugar in the coke. personally i like the taste of venison, so all i use is salt, pepper and some garlic salt for seasoning. then flour and fry. also venison, to me anyhow, makes the best gravy ever! :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I believe that the Coke tenderizes the meat. When I was a kid I worked at a marina. When we would get boats that came from the salt water and we couldn't get the prop off, we'd let it soak in Coke overnight. The prop would pop off easy as butter the next morning. I like the feta cheese idea too. Mmmm