2016, good season!

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Guy M

2016, good season!

Post by Guy M »

All with the .30-06 & 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, all dropped at the shot:

4x5 mulie buck at about 140 yards:

Smallish pronghorn buck at about 245 yards:

And of course the bear at about 325 yards:

It's been a good season so far. Am headed out with a late-season elk tag in the morning.

Regards, Guy
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 2016, good season!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Guy, if your late season elk hunting goes anything like the balance of the 2016 season, I'd say it was/is one bonaroo hunting season for Guy! Way to go, buddy! :D

And to those who think the old '06 is dead or obsolete, I offer this: Ask those animals how they feel about the old warhorse. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Thanks Rick!

Life got in the way, and I haven't been out for elk YET, but soon....

Might need a new freezer if I connect.... :mrgreen:

Ya, the .30-06 and I are still getting along just fine.

Regards, Guy
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Took a nice sized cow elk at 338 yards with one hit from the .30-06 again. This has been a very successful big game season!

Elk, bear, mule deer and pronghorn... Wow... I'm grateful, very, very grateful.

Regards, Guy
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Very Nice Guy. Be wear of the the man who uses one rifle very well! Well I guess you had to go look for another freezer!
Thanks for sharing the great photos and your smile on the elk photo says it all.

Enjoy your harvest.

Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Thanks Ray!

I'm still so happy about last season... Dang, it was pretty special. Not just because of the success, but because I spent a lot of time afield, with some great people. Family and friends.

Managed to cram all the meat into our freezer, and the chest freezer under the garage fridge... Gradually whittling away at it. Last night was antelope steak, tonight we're going to eat elk burgers. Life is good.

Ya, thanks for the compliment about shooting the .30-06 well. It's a good rifle, and I do shoot it pretty well. It just balances real well in hand for me. Being 100% reliable hasn't hurt in the least.

Lately I've been shooting some heavier loads, mostly 200 grain Nosler Partitions at just over 2600 fps via H4350. It's giving me 2.5" - 3.0" three-shot groups at 300 yards, shooting from prone with the rifle rested over my hunting pack. I got the urge to try heavier bullets from it, and wow, the rifle really likes those 200's.

Regards, Guy
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Don't know how you can kill those animals with just a 30-06 ? If you read all the hot shot articles, it can't be done without the 338x plus big boomer magmums.. :lol: Just joshing.. I have killed more game with the 30-06 and 25-06 than with some of the magnums, I also have. It and the tried and true 270 Win will do the job, and had done so for year, if you put a good bullet into the proper zone. Thanks for you photo's and the caption on the photo's.. Plenty of fine eating in your freezer, that is for sure. Bill K :)
hydehunter1
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper

Post by hydehunter1 »

I just had a custom 30-06 built a month ago by TS Customs in Miller SD great looking rig but waiting on the weather or rather the wind to lay down to start working on loads,so far shoots 1/2 groups at 111 yards while breaking in the barrel with Hornaday ammo.