Some pics of game and ferals from Australia

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Dayv
.204 Ruger Guns: howa

Post by Dayv »

So here are some pictures of some of the game animals which I hunt here in Australia, most of them are deer as that's what I mostly hunt here I have a lot more but didn't want to over do it lol
sorry about all the pics I like to shoot with my camera as much as my guns :D
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: Some pics of game and ferals from Australia

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Hey thanks for the pictures. What caliber are you using on the deer and rams?
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Dayv

Post by Dayv »

Hey sidewinder, I use my trusty 308 on the deer loaded down to 110gr vmax as we only only have fallow deer here in tassie, but when I go to the mainland sambar deer hunting I use 150gr Remington corelockts still from the 308. On the goats as they are classed as feral and don't have a min caliber like deer do, so I mostly use my 222 on the. But once I get my 204 sorted out I'm pretty keen to give it a run at them.
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Do you have dingos, rabbits or any other small critters to shoot? 204s would be great for those. Thanks for the pictures :wave: :wave:
Dayv

Post by Dayv »

We don't have dingos in tassie they are a mainland thing, however we get a few feral dogs here and there mostly around lambing time tho. We get lots of rabbits which will be fun but the main reason I got a 204 is for the be bennets wallaby locally known as grey roo, as I hunt these a lot on a few different properties I hunt on and the brown or rofus wallaby aswell we also get a lot of feral cats aswel I'm pretty keen to see what this little caliber is capable of to be honest guess I'll find out this coming weekend all going to plan :D
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Out of curiosity, is roo meat any good to eat? :shrug:
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Post by boomer84 »

Yes and a very lean meat high in iron. The tail makes a great stew or just warped in foil on the BBQ ( my favourite ) and is more sweet and tender than ox tail! A young doe is good meat and makes great jerky. But the taste is not gamey but different to any other meat. A big buck can get a bit rank.

Boomer.
Dayv

Post by Dayv »

I agree with almost everything you've written there boomer except a buck harvested early march is far better eating than any doe in my opinion provided its hung and prepared properly the meat is very tender with a unique flavour
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Always interesting seeing photos and reading posts about hunting from around the world.

Don't know that I'll ever get to Australia - I waved when we went to and from the Persian Gulf while I was aboard ship... Close as I ever came to being in Australia!

Keep posting the photos and telling the hunt stories. I really like the looks of that white deer, and the dark one too. Is the dark one a Sika?

Guy
Dayv

Post by Dayv »

hey mate, all the deer in those photos are fallow as here in Tassie we only have fallow deer to hunt and our seasons are quite short and strict aswell so if I want to hunt any other deer throughout the year then we have to make a trip to the big island where there are more species of deer. I have just gotten home from a weekend hunt mostly with my camera so ill see if I can get a few more pics up shortly. oh n that little white fella I nice but hes got some growing to do yet but im keeping an eye on him though.