2021 Father-Son Mule Deer Hunt

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Guy M

2021 Father-Son Mule Deer Hunt

Post by Guy M »

October of 2021 my son and I spent four days hunting mule deer in Okanogan County, Washington.

He used a 1974 vintage 6mm Remington 700 BDL with a 3.5-10x Leupold and handloaded ammo with a 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3117 fps via Ramshot Hunter.

I used my 10 - 15 year old 30-06 Remington 700 CDL with a 6x scope and handloaded 180 grain Berger Elite Hunter bullets at 2730 fps via Ramshot Hunter.

My son got his deer first after a terrific stalk to close the distance. He shot it at about 130 yards or so. Once, a killing shot, but it looked like the buck might go over the edge of a steep ridge, so he shot it again, dropping it right there.

He's been shooting that rifle nearly 20 years and took his first deer with it, as well as several other whitetail and mule deer over the years.

I stalked a bigger buck for three days, but he was always too far for me to be confident about the shot. Finally on the 3rd day, he had a nice looking 3x3 buck with him, and the smaller buck gave me a shot opportunity at 350 yards.

It had been a while since my son and I each got mule deer, hunting together. Felt real good. And the steaks have been wonderful.

Regards, Guy
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 2021 Father-Son Mule Deer Hunt

Post by Bill K »

Great story, with both of you together and also getting your bucks. The use of the old cartridges, doing the job also and not a new whiz bang super magnum. Also Thank you for the photos, we love photos. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Way to go Guy and son! Nice! Good to see you back here again too.

Glad you both were able to get out together for the hunt. My dad is gone now, but my favorite memories of him are of both of us hunting mulies together. You are building great memories for you both, and especially for your son once you're gone. I also like your choices of rifles and calibers, mirrors my own choices. There's no magnums in my safe, been "gettin' it done" without any for going on 60 years now.

Great pics too....thanks for posting those two nice bucks.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

K22
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber

Post by K22 »

That had to be an excellent trip. The success was a bonus for sure.
6mm Rem. is an old favorite of mine and one of those do everything calibers.
Thank you for the story and especially the photo's.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Thanks guys. I like this little forum, though I don't visit often. I appreciate that you guys like the whole father-son hunt thing. The young man started hunting with me when he was 10 years old, got his license at 12. He's 30 now... It's been a good run. I'm fading a bit, but we intend to hunt together until I can't.

Guy
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Thanks for sharing that with us. It looks like you had a real nice hunt.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em