130gr bullets on deer

Talk about North American big game hunting.
xdguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Thumbhole

130gr bullets on deer

Post by xdguy »

So what does everyone think of using 130gr barnes TTSX bullets on northern minnesota whitetail? I shoot a remington 700 30-06, i would say my shots are all under 400 yards. My thoughts are that since barnes bullets retain their weight so well i am able to drop down in grains. Just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: 130gr bullets on deer

Post by Hotshot »

I've shot dozens of whitetails out to 500 yards with 87 and 95 grain 6mm bullets. 130 grain 30 cal should kill an elk under 400 yards quite well. Use them if you are so inclined. Study your trajectory so you can make a good hit. Hope you have a great hunting season!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

xdguy: You're on the right track, as when using Barnes TTSX bullets, light for caliber is the recognized procedure. There was an excellent article in Handloader Magazine a couple issues back about using the 130gr TTSX bullet in both the .308W and the .30-06 you may want to check out.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

With the superb performance on mule deer that I've seen from the little 100 grain TSX out of my .25-06, I think you'll have excellent results from a 130 gr .30 cal Barnes bullet on deer!
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

BTW - if you haven't loaded or shot them before... Well worth some study on the subject. The Barnes TSX bullets like a bit of a jump to the lands & grooves, and mine have always shot best when loaded up to max or near max charges.

Also - despite fouling less than the old Barnes X bullets, expect some copper fouling, particularly from a relatively rough factory barrel. My .25-06 fouls pretty badly after 15 or 20 shots with the Barnes, so I make a practice of cleaning it before that point when I'm shooting them. On the other hand, my .308 Win doesn't foul much at all with the TSX, but it's a nicely polished Krieger barrel.

Regards, Guy