Got 2 whitetails with my son in law

Talk about North American big game hunting.
JBinMontana
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle 22" Bull Barrel

Got 2 whitetails with my son in law

Post by JBinMontana »

My son in law and I, headed over to the property the his grandmother owns. We got in and set up with just the hint of day break. While we are up on this ridge over looking an area that we saw a buck during bowhunting season, I spot movement. I got myself in a great outlook, and bipod was holding everything steady. I put the scope and low and behold a nice shooter buck with carmal color antlers, is not paying attention. I have the crosshairs of the Nikon ProStaff w/BDC retical right in the ol windbags there.

I let the 7mm-08 Barnes TSX 140-gr go, and the buck stood there like it hadn't even been hit, then took a couple of steps and layed down. In the picture you might make out the white hair in the grass. When we walked up to tag and recover my buck, we happen to notice he had grass still in his mouth.

Well after this I still had a B tag for getting me a doe. My son in law and I decided to move from where we were. As we relocated, I happen to notice a nice little rise that over the top might yeild something.

As we approached the top, and could just make out a couple of does. The grass was long enough that I got real low, and crept to the edge where I had a good clear shot. I again made my selection of the 2 does, and placed my Nikon ProStaff cross hairs in the heart lung area. Now this doe was not sticking around not liking what it just felt. But I tell you that the Barnes TSX 140-gr bullet created a bloodtrail a blind man could follow.

JB
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Got 2 whitetails with my son in law

Post by Hotshot »

Welcome to ya JB. Looks like you have a good start on filling the freezer. Nice pictures!
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Congratulations! Nice...
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

They'll be good on the barbecue
Savage Vaporizer
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Man, that's the truth! :D My son and I put three mule deer in the freezer this season. We've already barbecued steaks & brats, and Mama made more of the venison into chili as well as jambalaya. I took in a bunch of venison pepperoni to work too. The meat is wonderful!
JBinMontana

Post by JBinMontana »

I ate a whole package of pepper sticks tonight, heat them babies up and oh they are to die for.
JB
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

nice shooting!!
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

A red barrel donut would be more kinda safety conscious during hunting season........ You could feel safer, and when paired up with a red plaid lumberjack shirt, you'd also be the fashion maven of the camp. Color coordinated accessories will do that.........

JBinMontana

Post by JBinMontana »

huntsman - now that is funny.

I am going to be fine tuning the 7mm-08 without the Sims just to see what I can do without it, but from the bench it improved accuracy of the factory rounds.
JB
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

jb, How you liking the 140 tsx's? I run them in a 7/08 for elk. Good stuff....
JBinMontana

Post by JBinMontana »

huntsman22 wrote:jb, How you liking the 140 tsx's? I run them in a 7/08 for elk. Good stuff....

I like them so much it is the only big game bullet that I will use :lol: BTW I just pulled the Sims off to clean the barrel before I put it away for awhile, and work with the .204 Ruger barrel before we get some serious snow. I've got dies and 100 once fired Remington brass on the way, and along with my own 60 empties I'm in good for awhile on 7mm-08 brass.

I want to concentrate on working with the .204 Ruger for now though with a naked barrel :eek:
JB