Hunt wish list?

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Guy M

Hunt wish list?

Post by Guy M »

I've taken wild boar, quite a few mule deer, and a really nice 6x6 bull elk. Feeling pretty good about that, but... I have a wish list, some practical, some not so practical:

Mule deer - my biggest is a 26" wide Washington 4x4, I'd like bigger, something at least 28" and tall...
White tail - believe it or not, I've never shot a whitetail, I'd like to bag a decent whitetail buck or two.
Elk - will likely concentrate on cow elk hunts for steaks. Unlikely that I'll ever find a bigger bull on public land, on a do-it-yourself hunt, and taking a smaller bull has little appeal. A cow elk with a muzzle loader or archery gear though - that has a lot of appeal to me.
Black bear - have been out a few times, but have yet to take a bear. I'd like a nice rug or two around the house, but have no plans of making a career of bear hunting.
Pronghorn - I've got to hunt those rascals someday! I see them in Montana and Wyoming - but have never hunted them...
Cougar - I keep trying, but have yet to seal the deal.

Unlikely:
Mountain Goat - we've got pretty good numbers of them in Washington, but the population is declining and the once-in-a-lifetime tags are tough to draw.
Bighorn Sheep - we've got herds of the silly things - some not far at all from my home, 15 miles or less. But... drawing a tag for one is TOUGH, and it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Moose - a decent population of them, but again, the draw odds are against it. I'd like a bull moose... Another once-in-a-lifetime tag.
Caribou - Alaska - a feasible hunt for a do-it-yourself hunter - but... although this is inexpensive as far as Alaskan hunts go - it's still expensive. Air transportation and all...

Dreamland:
Giant Alaskan Moose - yee haw!
Alaskan Brown Bear/Grizzly - Very expensive proposition - but I'd love to do it.
African plains game AND a cape buffalo - actually plains game is reasonably priced for a hunt, but transportation of the trophies is expensive, as is air fare, and... Adding a cape buff to the list of game dramatically increases the price of the hunt. Likely with good reason.

What's your Hunt Wish List?
Guy M

Re: Hunt wish list?

Post by Guy M »

Here's a few photos:

The Wyoming 6x6 bull:

My '08 Washington mulie buck:

A couple of young bighorn rams I found in Montana:

More bighorn sheep in a canyon near my home, I love watching these critters:

Photo of a Wyoming grizz - photographed by a friend:

I'm not a big time trophy hunter by any means, but there are some more game animals I'd love to hunt.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Frankly, all that above makes me feel a little silly. But I know how you feel.

All I can think about is prairie dogs and squirrels.

Now consider this. 2000 live targets on the field when you arrive, 5000 when you leave.

Thats after shooting 1000 or more rounds. Sunny weather, cool breeze. No humping for five days for one shot.

Only take equipment that will fit in my Excursion, so you have to pack light. :)

Silly? Yah, right!
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

That sounds fun too! :D
pokey308
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet

Post by pokey308 »

Last year I got super hooked on predator hunting here in Indiana. The past 2 seasons I've called a few yotes in but never close enough for me to take a shot I was willing to take. But since we are only aloud to take coyote and fox (red and grey) I've wanted to do a world tour of predator hunts.

US:
coyote, fox, bobcat, cougar (not the bar type :lol: ), all the bears, wolf

Africa:
leopard, lion, hyena

South America
puma

There are some other places I would love to take their local preds, but those are on my list of "things to do before I die." I know that I will most likly never get past coyote, fox and bobcat here in the states, one can always dream.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Guy, nice writeup. You and I have very similar asperations. Plus, this is what I do all winter. Dream about what I'll hunt in the up-coming year.

Mule deer - I've killed more mulies than anything else, but still haven't gotten a real good one. Have several laying down in my backyard right now, so they aren't exactly exotic, but I really enjoy hunting them. Killed an old heavy one in MT, but he lacks width and has kinda shallow forks. I keep looking for a nice 30"...
White tail - I've shot 1 wt buck. I'd like a few more. Most wt in Oregon are on private land so that makes if tougher.
Elk - My favorite to hunt. Bow hunt them a lot, but like any season including black powder. Still haven't killed one with antlers, so that is a big goal for the upcoming years.
Black bear - Always see em when it aint the season. Hopefully someday, but not in a hurry. Spring season is tough to get away from work, but well worth it for the scenery.
Pronghorn - This was my first big game animal. Killed another in 2008 in OR that was 14". Really enjoy hunting them, but it will probably be another 12 years before I draw.
Cougar - Shot one a few years ago. Don't need another trophy, but they are taking over here in OR. I definately want to exterminate a few more. There have been 4 sighted on the outskirts of my town within the last month.
I would add blacktail deer to this list. I have shot 1 buck, but someday I would like to add a nice heavy 4 point to the wall. Although, I don't like hunting them very much do to the thick vegetation they live in as well as too many other hunters during the mostly general seasons for them.
Unlikely:
Mountain Goat -I always apply, but...not realistic
Bighorn Sheep - Again, I always apply, but chances are slim. Would be a dream come true though. A few years ago one of my cousins in WA drew the only nonres. rocky mt. bighorn tage in OR, so it can happen.
Moose - Hope to do a BC moose when I recover from this crappy economy. Love Moose meat.
Caribou - Would like to do this someday, but not real high on my list.

Dreamland:
Giant Alaskan Moose - How could this not at least be a dream hunt.
Alaskan Brown Bear/Grizzly - Fun but I'd rather put the money towrds moose or africa.
African plains game AND a cape buffalo - Know lots of people who have been, and will definately go someday, even if it's just for 1 or 2 animals. One of the guys who works at the nosler pro shop was just telling me of his trip last fall. He was hunting buffalo and poachers. Sounds like a good mixed bag to me. :twisted:
Dang, now I feel the need to go chase something around with a weaon.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

Here on the east coast, we don't have as many different targets as the folks out west. My wish list would consist of
Texas- whitetail WAY out there, feral hogs, and predators
Montana- mule deer and pronhorn. again WAY out there.
Africa- all planes game, cape buff., hippo, maybe lion
Alaska- caribou and grizzly

But if the only trip I ever go on is a few days flippin' dogs with my 204 i'll be happy
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
maverick
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1V Stainless

Post by maverick »

My big game hunting "Bucket List" would include:
1. Brown bear in Alaska
2. Bighorn Sheep in Idaho
3. Mountain Goat in Idaho
4. Cape buffalo in Africa

#1 is probably the most likely for me (I have a buddy who guides for Brown Bear hunts) while #2 and 3 are based on luck of the draw.... #4 is out there a bit.
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my toys for what she thinks I paid for them...
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

Very nice looking Elk and Mulie Guy M..."Congratulations"! :hail:

I would love to hunt up in Pike County Illinois for a Big Whitetail Buck and Iowa too!My next choice would be to go out West and Hunt Mulies and Pronghorn Sheep with a Bow or Rifle and hunt Blacktail Deer also.Right now I'm having a blast Hunting Coyote's and other Predators/Varmints...guess my realistic goal would be to shot a Bobcat on the Farm and have it mounted! :idea: :D :wink: