Was a good weekend

Talk about North American big game hunting.
maverick
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1V Stainless

Was a good weekend

Post by maverick »

Went to the local (Lewiston, ID) Bighorn/Gun show over the weekend to check out scopes. Heard in advance that they’d have someone there to score racks, so grabbed my moose antlers (Shiras Moose from N. Idaho) to see how they’d score out of curiosity. Dropped them off on Saturday morning, surveyed the tables for scopes (nothing of interest) and then went back last night to pick up my rack. Walked over to where my rack was, and it was plastered with “Best of Show”, “Gun Winner”, and “Boone and Crockett – All-time Qualifier” tags… To make a long story short, came home with an engraved Henry lever-action “Golden Boy” rifle in .22 LR. My initial thought was to sell it and throw that much more money on my varmint scope. When I opened it up however, I noticed that it’s a very nice-looking rifle, and started thinking it might be a good “first rifle” for my daughter when the time comes (she’s 4) and then serve as one of those “family hand-me-downs” as it seems to be a well-made gun built along classic lines… Any .22LR aficionados on here that know anything about these things? Wasn’t a bad weekend considering I went to the show on a whim looking for scopes.
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my toys for what she thinks I paid for them...
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Re: Was a good weekend

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

The Henry Golden Boy is about as sweet as 22 lever guns get these days. It is smooth to operate, accurate and a very fun gun. Keep it, use it yourself - you'll like it lots, and pass it on as you said.
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Post by ultralightshooter »

What did your moose score and do you have any pics of it you can share with us?
maverick

Post by maverick »

Will see if I get this right (computers are NOT my forte'). Bull scored 166.5. Hopefully the pix are here:

Last edited by maverick on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my toys for what she thinks I paid for them...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

mav: When you get to Photobucket and your particular photo, click on "image code", and then 'copy', then in the post itself, hit 'paste'. HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

That's a darned fine moose! Congrats.

I hear the Henry rifles are just fine.
maverick

Post by maverick »

mav: When you get to Photobucket and your particular photo, click on "image code", and then 'copy', then in the post itself, hit 'paste'. HTH
Yeah, took me a couple times to get it right... As my wife says "He's strong like an ox, but smart like a tractor..."
The Henry Golden Boy is about as sweet as 22 lever guns get these days. It is smooth to operate, accurate and a very fun gun. Keep it, use it yourself - you'll like it lots, and pass it on as you said.
The more I check into these, the more I'm leaning into hanging on to it. It's a cool little outfit (and the Easter Bunny still needs to find something for my daughter, so this should solve that problem...)
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Wtg
Thats a good weekend thats a good looking moose. And henerys are sweet
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Congrats on that mighty fine looking "swamp donkey".
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gube wrote:Congrats on that mighty fine looking "swamp donkey".
Heh heh.....leave it to a Canuck for fine verbage! I love it.

I had never heard the term "swamp singers" either until my Canadian cousin visited during the Olympics, and I found out that was a term to describe frogs.....or to them, French Canadians. I cwacked up the first time I heard it. I love you guys! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Post by ultralightshooter »

Thats a whopper bull, Congrats! Are you getting him mounted?
maverick

Post by maverick »

Thats a whopper bull, Congrats! Are you getting him mounted?
No - did a European mount instead. Shoulder mount of a moose is way too big for any space we have available. (In general, they won't fit thru a 36" doorway, bottom of the mount at the neck is only 3' off the floor if it's in a room with an 8' ceiling, and the nose/antler sticks out 4'+ from the wall.)

Was very pleased with how the European mount came out. Will shoot a picture in the near future and post it. Only way to do a moose IMO unless you've got a huge space to work with.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Maverick - I ran into the same problem with a big ol' 6x6 bull elk - outside spread of 51 inches - came home with the cape and antlers...

No where to fit a full head & shoulders mount... Hmmm. Just put the antlers on a chunk of walnut and called it good. After that I had several mule deer done in a "european" mount - very nice. Relatively inexpensive, quick from my taxidermist, look good and they don't take up much room. Good call on going with the euro mount!

Regards, Guy
maverick

Post by maverick »

Here's how the European Mount of my moose came out:

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Nice!